Airline miles are great if you're looking to earn rewards that you can redeem towards award flights on your favorite airlines. They can also typically be used for seat upgrades, lounge access, and much more.
Most major airlines offer co-branded credit cards that allows you to earn a certain amount of miles per $1 spent. These cards can also grant additional benefits with the airline such as a free checked bag and priority boarding.
If you're looking to maximize your earnings, several travel rewards programs allow you to transfer your earned points directly to frequent flyer programs. In many cases this can earn you airline miles faster than using a co-branded airline credit card.
If you're loyal to a specific airline or two, I recommend considering an airline credit card. If you're not loyal to any given airline, you'll more than likely be better off with a travel rewards card.
If you frequently find yourself at the airport, you may want to consider several of the airport services listed below. Review the benefits of each service and find out which credit cards offer discounts or complimentary access to these airport services.
Qantas Frequent Flyer
Qantas partners with more than 10 banks to bring you over 30 credit cards you can use to earn Qantas Points on everyday spend. Many of these cards also offer additional benefits such as Qantas Lounge passes, complimentary Qantas Frequent Flyer membership, and travel insurance.
Best For High Earnings
- Earn up to 1.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on everyday purchases, except spend at government bodies in Australia where you will earn 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent. Earn 2.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on eligible Qantas products and services.
- Receive a $450 Qantas Travel Credit to use on eligible domestic or international Qantas flights each year when booked through American Express Travel.
- Enjoy two complimentary American Express Airport Lounge entries, plus two Qantas Club Lounge invitations each year after purchasing select Qantas products and services.
- Earn more Qantas Points with up to 4 Additional Cards for family members or friends, at no extra fee.
- Complimentary Qantas Wine Premium Membership along with 3X points per $1 spent on all Qantas Wine purchases and complementary Qantas Wine delivery within Australia.
- Annual Income Requirements: $65,000 or more.
Virgin Australia Velocity
Virgin Australia offers two credit cards through American Express. They offer the ability to earn up to 2.25X points on your spend as well as grant additional benefits such as lounge passes, a complimentary domestic return flight, and travel insurance.
Best For High Earnings
- Complimentary Virgin Australia return Economy domestic flight between selected cities each anniversary year
- Two complimentary single entry passes to the domestic Virgin Australia lounge each anniversary year at selected airports
- Two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- Receive 100 Velocity Status Credits, when you spend a minimum of $50,000 within your Card Membership year.
- Plan It Instalments offers a flexible way to pay off your Credit Card balance in equal monthly instalments, with 0% p.a. interest and a fixed monthly fee
- Complimentary domestic and international travel insurance when you pay for eligible travel with your Card
Transferring Rewards To Frequent Flyer Programs
One of the easiest ways to earn airline miles outside of using co-branded credit cards is by using transfer partners.
Several major travel rewards programs and hotel rewards programs allow you to transfer your earned points directly to frequent flyer programs. This provides an alternative way to build airline miles with your favorite airlines.
Listed below are several of the best programs for transferring points to frequent flyer programs. Do note that some of these programs allow you to transfer points to Qantas Frequent Flyer and Virgin Australia Velocity which makes them great for earning additional miles through intro bonuses and everyday spending.
|American Express Membership Rewards||
|BOQ Q Rewards||
|Westpac Altitude Rewards||