The Platinum Card® Canada is a luxury travel card that is great for anyone that frequently travels. It offers a great return across dining and travel purchases, an annual travel credit, and fantastic travel benefits such as lounge access and personalized concierge service.
Overall, it is one of the best travel credit cards to have if you want to experience everything travel has to offer.
Card Details At-A-Glance
|Authorized User Fee|
|Foreign Transaction Fee|
The Platinum Card (Canada) features the following bonus categories and earning rates:
There is no cap on how many bonus points you can earn spending across dining and travel and no cap on how many points you can earn with The Platinum Card overall.
The Platinum Card earns 3 Membership Rewards Points per $1 spent at restaurants, quick service restaurants, coffee shops and drinking establishments in Canada. This includes the delivery of food and groceries in Canada as a primary business.
The Platinum Card earns 2 Membership Rewards Points per $1 spent on travel services or travel bookings. This include air, water, rail and road transport, lodging, and tour operator sales.
This does not include local and commuter transport.
1X Everything Else
All other purchases on The Platinum Card will earn you 1 Membership Rewards Point per $1 spent.
+1 AMEX Travel Online
For every $1 you spend on eligible hotel and car rental bookings through American Express Travel Online with The Platinum Card, you'll earn 1 additional Membership Rewards Points. This gives you a total of 2 points per $1 spent.
The Platinum Card comes stacked with the following card benefits:
- $200 Annual Travel Credit
- $100 NEXUS Statement Credit
- American Express Global Lounge Collection
- Fine Hotels + Resorts
- Hotel Status Benefit
- Benefits at Toronto Pearson International Airport
- Other Platinum Benefits
- Shopping Coverage
- Travel Coverage
$200 Annual Travel Credit
Every calendar year, you'll receive a $200 CAD Travel Credit that is good towards a single travel booking of $200 or more charged to your Platinum Card through American Express Travel Online or through Platinum Card Services.
$100 NEXUS Statement Credit
When you use The Platinum Card to pay for a NEXUS application or renewal fee, you will receive a $100 CAD statement credit.
American Express Global Lounge Collection
As an American Express Platinum Card member, you and all authorized users with a Platinum card will have access to 1,300+ airport lounges in over 500 airports around the world and 140 countries.
- Centurion Lounges
- Plaza Premium Lounges
- Delta Sky Club (when flying Delta)
- Airspace Lounges
- Escape Lounges - The Centurion® Studio Partner
- Priority Pass
- Executive Lounges by Swissport
Do note that you will need to enroll in Priority Pass in order to access Priority Pass lounges. You can do this through Platinum Card Services.
These lounges will typically require you (or additional Platinum cardholders) to show your Platinum Card in order to be granted entry.
Fine Hotels + Resorts
As a Platinum Card member, you'll have access to book through Fine Hotels + Resorts with American Express Travel. When booking, you'll receive the following benefits:
- Room Upgrade Upon Arrival (when available)
- Daily Breakfast For Two People
- Guaranteed 4pm Late Checkout
- Noon Check-In (when available)
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Experience Credit Valued at US$100 (such as a spa or food and beverage credit)
Hotel Status Benefit
As a Platinum Card member, you and additional Platinum cardholders will be able to enroll in complimentary elite status with several hotel chains. This includes:
- Hilton Honors Gold Status
- Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status
- Radisson Rewards Americas Gold Status
Benefits at Toronto Pearson International Airport
When traveling through Toronto Pearson International Airport as an AMEX Platinum Card member, you'll receive the following benefits:
- Pearson Airport Priority Security Lane.
- Complimentary valet service at the Express Park and Daily Park.
- 15% discount on parking rates at the Express Park and Daily Park.
Other Platinum Benefits
The Platinum Card comes with several additional benefits which includes, but is not limited to:
- Platinum Concierge
- American Express Experiences
- AMEX Offers (Enrollment Required)
- Exclusive Offers via American Express Travel Online
The Platinum Card features the following shopping coverage:
The Platinum Card features the following travel coverage:
- Out of Province/Country Emergency Medical Insurance
- Trip Cancellation Insurance
- Trip Interruption Insurance
- Flight Delay Insurance
- Baggage Delay Insurance
- Hotel Burglary Insurance
- Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance
- $500,000 Travel Accident Insurance
- Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance
- Travel Emergency Assistance
Use the AMEX Points Calculator to calculate how many Membership Rewards Points you can earn based on how much you spend across different categories. Compare the results side by side up to 2 credit cards to find out which cards are best for you.
Any spend entered into the primary card column (the first column) will carry over to all credit card calculators on the site, so there's no need to re-enter spend when viewing other credit cards.