|Value of 1 Point||Redemption|
|$0.015 to $0.02||Fixed Points Travel|
|$0.01||Flexible Points Travel Redemptions|
|$0.01||Use Points For Purchases|
|$0.004 to 0.006||Merchandise|
|$0.007||Amazon Shop w/ Points|
|$0.00769||$25 Gift Cards|
Redeeming Membership Rewards Points for Fixed Point Travel will give you the best value of 1.5 to 2 cents in value. Overall, you can redeem AMEX Points for:
- Fixed Point Travel Redemptions (Airfare)
- Flexible Points Travel Redemptions
- Amazon Shop with Points
- Gift Cards
- Statement Credits
- Rewards with Transfer Partners
How Much Are AMEX Points Worth In Canada?
Membership Rewards Points earned with AMEX Canada are worth up to 2 cents each when redeemed for Fixed Point Travel through American Express. You can also get a solid 1 cent in value redeeming them for flexible points travel redemptions, charity, and using them to wipe out purchases made to a Membership Rewards credit cards.
Other redemptions will typically give you less than 1 cent in value such as Amazon Shop with Points and gift cards.
Fixed Points Travel Redemptions
The easiest way to obtain great value out of your American Express Membership Rewards program is by using the AMEX Fixed Points Travel program. This program takes the guess work out of redeeming your points by assigning a set cost in points to various routes.
Using the AMEX Fixed Points Travel program will give your points up to 2 cents in value for economy flights and up to 1.8 cents per point for business flights.
Some of the main benefits of using the AMEX Fixed Points Travel program are:
- Book any airline, fly anywhere, and travel any day of the year
- Book up to a day before departure
- Book economy or business class flights
- Book direct flights
- Enjoy the travel benefits that comes with your AMEX card
So no matter the flight availability, time of year, or peak/off-peak season, the flight will always cost the same. Listed below is what you can expect to pay using the Fixed Points Travel Program.
|Route||Points||Max Ticket Price||Point Value|
|Popular Routes Canada/U.S. (Short Haul)||15,000 Points||$300||2 Cents|
|Explore Closer To Home Canada/U.S. (Short Haul)||20,000 Points||$300||1.5 Cents|
|Discover North America Canada/U.S. (Long Haul)||40,000 Points||$700||1.75 Cents|
|Pick Your Vacation Spot||50,000 Points||$800||1.6 Cents|
|Discover Europe||60,000 Points||$900||1.5 Cents|
|Worldwide||100,000 Points||$1,700||1.7 Cents|
|Route||Points||Max Ticket Price||Point Value|
|Explore Closer To Home Canada/U.S. (Short Haul)||50,000 Points||$800||1.6 Cents|
|Discover North America Canada/U.S. (Long Haul)||100,000 Points||$1,800||1.8 Cents|
|Pick Your Vacation Spot||120,000 Points||$2,100||1.75 Cents|
|Discover Europe||140,000 Points||$2,500||1.785 Cents|
|Worldwide||250,000 Points||$4,500||1.8 Cents|
Popular Routes include short-haul routes between the following destinations:
- Calgary - Vancouver
- Montreal - New York
- Toronto - Montreal
- Toronto - New York
- Toronto - Ottawa
Popular Routes are the sweet spot in the AMEX Fixed Points Travel program as you'll be able to get up to 2 cents in value which is not obtainable with the other routes.
Explore Closer To Home
Explore Closer To Home are short-haul routes within or from a Canadian Province/Territory to an adjacent Canadian Province/Territory or U.S. State. Do note that this does not include Alaska.
Discover North America
Discover North America are flights from a Canadian Province/Territory to a non-adjacent Canadian Province/Territory or U.S. State. This does not include Alaska or Hawaii.
Pick Your Vacation
Pick Your Vacation includes flights from Canada to Alaska, Bermuda, Caribbean, Central America, Hawaii, or Mexico.
Discover Europe are flights from Canada to destinations in Europe.
Worldwide are flights from Canada to destinations in Africa, Asia, Australia, Middle East, New Zealand, South America, or South Pacific.
Other AMEX Points Redemptions
Other redemptions with AMEX outside of the Fixed Points Travel program will give you 1 cent per point or lower in value. This includes using the Flexible Points Travel program, shopping online with Amazon, and buying gift cards. Each of these options are more are detailed below.
AMEX Flexible Points Travel
If you still want solid value out of your AMEX Points, you can redeem them in AMEX's Flexible Points Travel program at a value of 1 cent each.
This program allows you to redeem 1,000 AMEX Points for $10 in travel credit which can be applied towards new travel purchases, including taxes, surcharges and fees, booked through the American Express Travel Service or through the americanexpress.ca/travel website.
If you're not using the Fixed Points program, applying your points towards travel credits is the next best option outside of transferring your points AMEX's partners.
Amazon Shop With Points
You can redeem AMEX Points during checkout on Amazon.com for a value of 0.7 cents per point. While this isn't a bad redemption, it's still a lot lower than what you can obtain from redeeming your points towards AMEX's Fixed Points program.
On top of that, if you're looking to earn with Amazon, you would be better off with the MBNA Amazon Mastercard which will earn you 5% or 3% cash back based on if you have Amazon Prime or not.
You can redeem your AMEX Points for merchandise in the 'Shop' portion of the American Express Membership Rewards Portal. The value you receive from shopping with AMEX will vary, but most redemptions that I tested hovered around the 0.4 to 0.6 cents range.
This is significantly lower than what you can squeeze out of AMEX Points so I recommend avoiding the purchase of merchandise if you can. cash back credit cards are better options if you enjoy buying merchandise.
AMEX Points can be redeemed for gift cards for about 0.769 cents per point. This isn't the best, but it's a solid option if you're in need of a gift card. AMEX has over 30 different credit cards you can choose from with most of the cards starting at 3,250 points for a $25 gift card.
Gift card options include, but are not limited to:
- Air Canada
- Birks Business
- Esso and Mobil
- Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
- Hudson's Bay
- Indigo Books and Music
- Gap Inc.
- Saks Fifth Avenue
- The Home Depot
- TJX Canada
AMEX Points can be donated to Save the Children which gives your points a value of 1 cent each. Donations start at 1,000 AMEX Points for a $10 donation.
Use Points For Purchases
You can use your AMEX Points towards eligible purchases charged to your Membership Rewards credit card which will give your points a value of 1 cent per point. This means that every 1,000 AMEX Points you redeem towards purchases will give you a $10 statement credit.
This can be useful if you want to use your points to pay of purchases you've made to a card during the last 3 months.
AMEX Points Transfer
AMEX Points can be transferred to 10 partners. Those partners are:
- Air Canada Aeroplan (1:1)
- Alitalia MilleMiglia (5:4)
- British Airways Executive Club (1:1)
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (5:4)
- Delta Airlines SkyMiles (5:4)
- Etihad Guest (5:4)
- Hilton Honors (1:1)
- Marriott Bonvoy (5:6)
Being able to transfer points to different rewards programs gives you a lot of flexibility when it comes to choosing how you want to redeem your points. It also gives you alternatives way to earn points and miles with each of these partners by running spend through Membership Rewards Credit Cards and transferring points when needed.
You can check out our Partner List & Conversion Calculator to learn more about transferring Membership Rewards Points to partners and to calculate the transfer to each.
AMEX Points Value Calculator
Use the AMEX Points Value Calculator to calculate the dollar value of your Membership Rewards Points based on the redemption options. You can enter any amount of points to see how much your points.
Listed below are the average cash values for Membership Rewards Points when redeemed for Fixed Points Travel.
|AMEX Points||Cash Value|
|10,000 Points||$150 - $200|
|25,000 Points||$375 - $500|
|30,000 Points||$450 - $600|
|50,000 Points||$750 - $1,000|
|75,000 Points||$1,125 - $1,500|
|100,000 Points||$1,500 - $2,000|
You can get a lot of value out of the American Express Membership Rewards Program if you're redeeming your points for AMEX Fixed Points Travel. Outside of that, great value can still be obtained with the AMEX Flexible Points Travel credits as well as by transferring points to AMEX's partners.
Earning Membership Rewards Points
If you're looking to maximize your earnings, you can use the Rewards Calculators to find out how many points you can earn with Membership Rewards credit cards and the cash value of each card based on your spend, how much you value card benefits, and annual fees.
You can then compare the results of each card side by side any credit cards featured out this site.
- With your American Express Cobalt Card you can redeem your points towards whatever eligible Card purchases you want – your options are anything but limited
- Cobalt Cardmembers receive regular Perks, including bonus rewards and access to great events.
- Enjoy benefits at over 600 participating hotels and resorts in over 30 countries with The Hotel Collection
- Road trip or flight, you may be protected when you book travel with your Card.
- With Fine Hotels + Resorts, Platinum Cardmembers can receive benefits such as guaranteed 4:00 p.m. late check-out, complimentary daily breakfast for two and other benefits at over 1,100 iconic properties worldwide.
- With Hotel Status Benefit, you'll be fast-tracked to the higher tiers of leading hotel loyalty programs around the world without having to fulfill the usual qualifying criteria, such as numerous night stays each year.
- Benefits at Toronto Pearson International Airport
- Platinum Concierge offers you complimentary assistance, anytime, day or night, wherever you are.
- Redeem points for statement credits, travel, gift cards, and more.
- From food delivery to recurring bills, earn 1 point for every $1 in eligible Card purchases.
- Whether redeeming for gift cards, merchandise, purchases made at Amazon.ca or travel − unlock a world of possibility with points.
- Enjoy exclusive ticket access, virtual events, live performances and more with American Express® Experiences.
- From regular business expenses to travel, earn 1.25 points for every $1 in Card purchases.
- Benefit from up to 55 interest-free days so you can keep more cash on hand when you need it most.
- Settle in before takeoff at over 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries and counting with the American Express Global Lounge Collection
- Road trip or flight, you could be protected when you book travel with your Card which includes Out of Province/Country Emergency Medical Insurance, Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption Insurance, Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance, and much more.
- Enjoy purchasing power that adjusts to your Card usage, with the ability to grow over time if you pay on time and maintain a good credit history.
- Benefit from up to 55 interest-free days so you keep more cash on hand when you need it most.
- From office supplies and software to professional services and utilities, earn 1 point for every $1 in Card purchases.
- Gain access to Expense Management Reports delivered quarterly and annually.
- From laptops to food delivery, earn 3 points for every $1 in Card purchases on eligible office supplies & electronics, rides & gas, eats & drinks.
- Spend $3,000 or more in Card purchases each monthly billing period to earn a Monthly Spend Bonus of 1,000 bonus points, up to 12,000 bonus points a year.
- Be protected. Receive business, travel, and purchase coverage when you use your Card.
How much are AMEX Membership Rewards Points worth?
AMEX Points are worth 1 to 2 cents each when using them towards travel with the Fixed Point Travel or Flexible Points Travel redemption options.
Can AMEX Membership Rewards Points be transfered to partners?
Yes. Points can be transferred to a handful of airline and hotel rewards programs. You can calculate the transfer of points from AMEX to their partners using the AMEX Points Transfer Calculator.
What can you redeem AMEX Membership Rewards Points for?
AMEX Points can be used for travel, merchandise, and gift cards. You can also redeem them on Amazon.ca, donate them to charity, or apply them to your account as a statement credit.
How do you earn AMEX Membership Rewards Points?
AMEX has a strong lineup of Membership Rewards Credit Cards you can use to earn points. You can use the AMEX Credit Card Calculators to calculate how many points you can earn with each card based on your spend and compare results against top rewards cards.