British Airways offers one co-branded credit card that you can use to earn Avios on everyday spend. You can also earn Avios by earning rewards on partner credit cards and transferring those rewards directly to your British Airways Executive Club account.
Review our top picks for best credit cards for British Airways Avios and calculate which cards can earn you the most Avios and best return.
Best Credit Cards For British Airways Avios
This page details our top picks for the best credit cards for earning Avios with British Airways. You can use the calculator to estimate which credit cards can earn you the most miles and best average return on your spend.
The cards on this page are updated periodically. New cards are introduced from time to time and the benefits of current cards could change at any time. You can use our Credit Card Finder Tool to search by spend across all credit cards in our database.
Best For 100,000 Avios Intro Bonus
The British Airways Visa Signature® Card is a great option if you're looking to earn a solid amount of Avios on purchases with Avios-earning airlines.
It earns 3X Avios on British Airways, Iberia, Aer Lingus, and LEVEL purchases, 2X Avios on hotel bookings made directly with the hotel, and 1X on all other purchases.
The card offers some solid benefits, but it is most known for it's 100,000 Avios Intro Bonus which can offer significant value.
The Iberia Visa Signature® Card and Aer Lingus Visa Signature® card also feature 100,000 Avios Intro Bonuses for their own respective Avios programs. Regardless, these bonuses still have around the same significant value.
- Earn 100,000 Avios after you spend $5,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn 5 Avios per $1 spent on purchases with British Airways, Aer Lingus, Iberia, and LEVEL within your first 12 months from account opening, thereafter earn 3 Avios.
- Earn 3 Avios per $1 spent on hotel accommodations when purchased directly with the hotel within your first 12 months from account opening, thereafter earn 2 Avios. Plus earn 1 Avios per $1 spent on all other purchases.
- 10% off British Airways flights starting in the US when you book through the website provided in your welcome materials.
- Every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa card, you'll earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years.
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel abroad.
- Simply tap to pay with your contactless British Airways Visa Signature Card. Just look for the contactless symbol at checkout. It's fast, easy and secure!
Best For Restaurants & Big Supermarket Spenders
The American Express® Gold Card is one of the best travel credit cards for earning rewards transferable to partners.
The card earns 4X Membership Rewards Points dining at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets, 3X on airfare purchased directly from an airline or through American Express Travel, and 1X on all other purchases.
These points can be transferred directly to your British Airways Avios account at a 1:1 ratio. They can be transferred to Iberia Avios and Aer Lingus Avios if needed as well.
In terms of benefits, the American Express® Gold Card offers up to $120 in annual dining credit and up to $120 in annual Uber credit. That's up to $240 in annual credits which pretty much takes care of the annual fee in terms of value.
Overall, if you spend heavy in restaurant and U.S. supermarket purchases and you want to maximize your Avios, you'll want to consider the American Express® Gold Card.
- Rose Gold is back. You can now choose between Gold or Rose Gold.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, including takeout and delivery, and earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Uber Cash on Gold: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- Get up to 12 complimentary months of an Uber Eats Pass subscription when you enroll with your Gold Card by 12/31/21.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Best For Travel & Dining
The American Express® Green Card is a great option if you're looking to earn rewards transferable to British Airways, Iberia, and Aer Lingus when spending on travel and dining.
The card earns 3X Membership Rewards Points on travel, transit, and restaurant purchases. That makes this card an excellent option to take along on vacation as you'll easily rake up points.
Benefits of the American Express® Green Card include an annual $100 credit towards CLEAR and an annual $100 credit towards LoungeBuddy.
- $100 CLEAR Credit to Help You Breeze Through Security - With CLEAR®, your eyes and fingertips can help you get through security faster at select airports and stadiums nationwide.
- $100 Credit for Lounge Access - Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy and receive up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year.
- No foreign transaction fees
Flat-Rate Rewards On Business Spend
The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express is a great business card choice if you're looking to earn a flat-rate of rewards across your business spend.
The card earns 2X Membership Rewards Points on the first $50,000 in purchases made during the calendar year, then 1X for the remainder of the year once the cap is hit. These points can be transferred to British Airways Avios at a 1:1 ratio as well as be transferred to Iberia Avios and Aer Lingus Avios at a 1:1 ratio.
If you want to maximize your business earnings in the Membership Rewards Program, I recommend pairing The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card with the American Express® Business Gold Card.
- Earn 15,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $3,000 in eligible purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 2X Membership Rewards® points on everyday business purchases such as office supplies or client dinners. 2X applies to the first $50,000 in purchases per year, 1 point per dollar thereafter.
- You've got the power to use your Card beyond its credit limit* with Expanded Buying Power.
- *The amount you can spend above your credit limit is not unlimited. It adjusts with your use of the Card, your payment history, credit record, financial resources known to American Express, and other factors.
- 0.0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable rate, 13.24% - 19.24%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors at account opening.
- No Annual Fee
- Terms Apply.
Best For Overall Value
The Chase Sapphire Reserve is a premium travel card that is loaded with travel benefits and can offer a significant amount of value toward travel no matter how you use your rewards.
The card earns 10X Ultimate Rewards Points on Chase Dining purchases and both hotel and car rental purchases through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 5X on airline travel purchases through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3X on dining and other travel purchases, and 1X on everything else. Points can be transferred to British Airways Avios as well as Iberia Avios.
The card offers a 50% boost to the value of Ultimate Rewards Points when redeemed for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards which means you'll be able to redeem your points for an easy 1.5 cents each. It's a great alternative if you can't find great redemption transferring to British Airways.
Additional benefits of the card include up to $300 in annual travel credit, Priority Pass Select Membership, up to a $100 statement credit towards a Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application, and superb travel insurance.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $900 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year. Through December 31, 2021, gas station & grocery store purchases will also count towards earning your Travel Credit
- Earn 5X total points on air travel and 10X total points on hotels and car rentals when you purchase travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards® immediately after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually. Earn 3X points on other travel and dining & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $900 toward travel
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 50% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,300+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select and up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more
Best Well-Rounded Rewards Card
If you're looking for a well-rounded travel rewards card that can offer great value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® is a great option.
It earns 5X points on travel purchases through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3X on online grocery purchases, select streaming services, and dining purchases, 2X on other travel purchases, and 1X on everything else. These points can be transferred to British Airways Avios at a 1:1 ratio.
Benefits of the card includes a 25% boost to the value of Ultimate Rewards Points redeemed though Chase Ultimate Rewards and a $50 anniversary hotel credit that can be used through Chase Ultimate Rewards. The card also comes with great travel insurance.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
Best For Business Rewards
If you want to earn a great amount of points on travel and select business categories, the Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card is an excellent choice.
It earns 3X Ultimate Rewards Points on the first $150,000 spent on travel, shipping, internet, cable services, phone services, and advertising each account anniversary year. These points can be transferred directly to your British Airways Avios or Iberia Avios account.
The card offers a 25% boost to the value of Ultimate Rewards Points when used for travel via the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal. This gives you the option to redeem your points for 1.25 cents each which is a great alternative if you can't find good value in transferring your rewards.
- Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Redeem points for cash back, gift cards, travel and more - your points don't expire as long as your account is open
- Purchase Protection covers your new purchases for 120 days against damage or theft up to $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per account
Best Credit Cards For British Airways Avios Summary
|Credit Card||Best For||Annual Fee||See All Available Offers|
|British Airways Visa Signature® Card||Best For 100,000 Avios Intro Bonus||$95||Learn More|
|American Express® Gold Card||Best For Restaurants & Big Supermarket Spenders||$250||Learn More|
|American Express® Green Card||Best For Travel & Dining||$150||Referral Link|
|The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express||Best For Flat-Rate Business Rewards||$0||Learn More|
|Chase Sapphire Reserve®||Best For Overall Value||$550||Learn More|
|Chase Sapphire Preferred®||Best Well-Rounded Rewards Card||$95||Learn More|
|Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card||Best For Business Rewards||$95||Learn More|
Best Credit Cards For British Airways Avios Calculator
The Best Credit Cards For British Airways Avios Calculator will give you an idea of which credit cards can earn you the most Avios and best returns.
Results will be sorted by net return which is the average value of the rewards earned, plus annual credits, and minus annual fees.
Results will consist of credit cards that earn British Airways Avios and credit cards from our partners that earn rewards that can be transferred to the British Airways Executive Club program.
The results listed below consist of co-branded credit cards and credit cards that allow you to transfer rewards to the program covered on this page. The earning amounts listed for transfer partner credit cards are based on the transfer ratio.
Rewards Calculator - Learn more about the card(s), dive deeper into calculating rewards, and compare results side by side other cards featured on the site.
See All Available Offers - Apply for cards through our partner and get the up-to-date details on rates & fees, intro bonuses, credit score recommendations, and more.