American Express Membership Rewards Points can be transferred to more than 20 travel partners. Those partners are:
- Aer Lingus AerClub (1:1)
- Aeromexico Club Premier (1:1)
- Air Canada Aeroplan (1:1)
- Air France-KLM Flying Blue (1:1)
- Alitalia MilleMiglia (1:1)
- All Nippon Airways Mileage Club (1:1)
- Avianca LifeMiles (1:1)
- British Airways Avios (1:1)
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (1:1)
- Delta Airlines SkyMiles (1:1)
- El Al Matmid Frequent Flyer Club (50:1)
- Emirates Skywards (1:1)
- Etihad Guest (1:1)
- Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles (1:1)
- Iberia Plus (1:1)
- JetBlue TrueBlue (5:4)
- Qantas Frequent Flyer (1:1)
- Singapore KrisFlyer (1:1)
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club (1:1)
- Choice Privileges (1:1)
- Hilton Honors (1:2)
- Marriott Bonvoy (1:1)
The majority of these partners are 1:1 transfers meaning that transferring 1,000 Membership Rewards Points will give you 1,000 points or miles with the receiving program. This provides a great alternative to earning rewards with these partners since AMEX credit cards can easily earn you lots of points via spending and sign up bonuses.
AMEX Excise Tax Offset Fee
American Express will charge you $0.0006 cents per point transferred to a U.S. airline frequent flyer program. This means that for every 10,000 points you transfer, you will be charged $6. You can also pay the fee using Membership Rewards Points at a value of 0.5 cents per point (not recommended). You will be charged the Excise Tax Offset Fee for transferring points to the following U.S.-based airlines:
- Delta Airlines
- JetBlue Airlines
- Hawaiian Airlines
The maximum amount AMEX will charge you is $99 per transfer which comes from transferring 165,000 Membership Rewards Points. This is not a large fee, but something you should take note of.
AMEX Points Transfer Calculator
Use the AMEX Points Transfer Calculator to calculate the transfer of AMEX points to airline and hotel partners. Enter any amount of points in the calculator to see the conversion of points to airline miles and hotel rewards points with each listed partner. You can click on any of the programs (when applicable) to learn more about that rewards program.
American Express Airline Partners
The majority of transfer partners for American Express are airlines. Co-branded airline credit cards offer the ability to earn frequent flyer miles directly on everyday spend, but in most cases using credit cards from bank rewards programs (such as American Express Membership Rewards) to earn points and transferring those points to your frequent flyer account is the better method for earning lots of miles. That's not to say that co-branded airline credit cards aren't worth picking up. I'd recommend picking up a co-branded airline credit card if the perks of the card benefit you (such as free checked bags, priority boarding, annual companion pass, etc.).
Listed below are American Express airline transfer partners sorted by alliance.
American Express Skyteam Alliance Partners
Membership Rewards Points transfers to four Skyteam members which are:
- Aeromexico Airlines (1:1)
- Air France-KLM (1:1)
- Alitalia (1:1)
- Delta Airlines (1:1)
American Express Oneworld Alliance Partners
Membership Rewards Points transfers to several airlines that are part of the Oneworld Alliance. Those airlines are:
- British Airways (1:1)
- Cathay Pacific (1:1)
- Iberia (1:1)
- Qantas (1:1)
American Express Star Alliance Partners
Membership Rewards Points transfers to four Star Alliance airlines. Those airlines are:
- Air Canada (1:1)
- All Nippon Airways (1:1)
- Avianca (1:1)
- Singapore Airlines (1:1)
Other American Express Airline Partners
Membership Rewards can be transferred to several airlines that are not part of any major alliance. Those airlines are:
- Aer Lingus (1:1)
- El Al Israel (50:1)
- Emirates (1:1)
- Etihad (1:1)
- Hawaiian Airlines (1:1)
- JetBlue Airways (5:4)
- Virgin Atlantic Airways (1:1)
American Express Hotel Partners
American Express Membership Rewards Points can be transferred to three hotel partners. Those partners are:
- Choice Hotels (1:1)
- Hilton Hotels (1:2)
- Marriott Hotels (1:1)
If you're looking to earn hotel rewards points outside of co-branded credit card spend, American Express Membership Rewards is a great choice for all three of these chains.
Best Cards For Earning Membership Rewards
If you're looking to build up your points and transfer them to AMEX's airline and hotel partners, you have a lot of great options to choose from as there's a total of 10 Membership Rewards credit cards. Here's our top picks for the best cards when it comes to earning points:
- Rose Gold is back. You can now choose between Gold or Rose Gold.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, including takeout and delivery, and earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Uber Cash on Gold: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- Get up to 12 complimentary months of an Uber Eats Pass subscription when you enroll with your Gold Card by 12/31/21.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- New! American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
- Airline Bonus: Get 25% points back after you use points for all or part of an eligible flight booked with Amex Travel, up to 250,000 points back per calendar year.
- Earn up to $300 in statement credits on eligible U.S. advertising and U.S. shipping purchases.
- Pay Over Time Option: A flexible payment option with interest to help manage cash flow on purchases of $100 or more.
- Terms Apply.
- Earn 15,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $3,000 in eligible purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 2X Membership Rewards® points on everyday business purchases such as office supplies or client dinners. 2X applies to the first $50,000 in purchases per year, 1 point per dollar thereafter.
- You've got the power to use your Card beyond its credit limit* with Expanded Buying Power.
- *The amount you can spend above your credit limit is not unlimited. It adjusts with your use of the Card, your payment history, credit record, financial resources known to American Express, and other factors.
- 0.0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable rate, 13.24% - 19.24%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors at account opening.
- No Annual Fee
- Terms Apply.
If you want the best value out of your AMEX Membership Rewards Points, transferring them is the way to go. This is because airline miles and hotel points have the capability to be worth more than 1 cent in value whereas redeeming points directly with AMEX will typically give you 1 cent or lower in value.
On top of that, transferring AMEX Points gives you alternative ways to build your rewards with other programs. In many cases you'll earn more points and miles per $1 spent using Membership Rewards credit cards across different categories of spend versus using co-branded airline or hotel credit cards.
Are American Express Points transferable?
Yes. American Express Membership Rewards Points can be transferred to more than 20 partners which consists of airline and hotel rewards programs.
How do I transfer Amex Points?
American Express Points can be transferred through the Membership Rewards portal.
What hotels can you transfer AMEX Points to?
Membership Rewards Points can be transferred to Marriott Bonvoy (1:1), Hilton Honors (1:2), and Choice Privileges (1:1).
Which airlines accept AMEX Membership Rewards points?
Membership Rewards Points can be used to book travel through American Express Travel at a value of 1 cent per point. This means that you can use them towards a flight on any airline that you find in the portal.