Citi offers a variety of credit cards ranging for co-branded airlines cards to top-rated travel rewards cards. Many of their cards offer a great return on your spend and provide solid benefits whether it's free checked bags with American Airlines, discounts at Costco, or transferring your points to airline partners such as JetBlue Airways. If you're looking to jump into earning rewards with Citi, you have a good amount of options to choose from.
- Citi Premier® Card: Best For Travel Rewards
- Citi Rewards+® Card: Best For General Rewards
- American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card: Best For Earning AA Miles
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®: Best For Frequent AA Flyers
- Citi® Double Cash Card: Best For Cash Back
- Citi Custom Cash℠ Card: Best For High 5% Back Earnings
- Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi: Best For Travel & Costco
- Annual $100 Hotel Savings Benefit
- No expiration and no limit to the amount of points you can earn with this card
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases
- Purchases automatically rounds up to the nearest 10 points on every purchase - with no cap
- 0% Intro APR on balance transfers and purchases for 15 months. After that, the variable APR will be 13.49% - 23.49%, based on your creditworthiness.
- Save 25% on inflight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights
- Earn a $125 American Airlines Flight Discount after you spend $20,000 or more in purchases during your cardmembership year and renew your card
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights
- To earn cash back, pay at least the minimum due on time.
- Cash back earned can be converted to the Citi ThankYou Rewards program
- Earn $200 in cash back after you spend $750 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening. This bonus offer will be fulfilled as 20,000 ThankYou® Points, which can be redeemed for $200 cash back.
- 0% Intro APR on balance transfers and purchases for 15 months. After that, the variable APR will be 13.99% - 23.99%, based on your creditworthiness.
- Earn 5% cash back on purchases in your top eligible spend category each billing cycle, up to the first $500 spent, 1% cash back thereafter. Also, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- No rotating bonus categories to sign up for – as your spending changes each billing cycle, your earn adjusts automatically when you spend in any of the eligible categories.
- No Annual Fee
- Citi will only issue one Citi Custom Cash℠ Card account per person.
- Discover one of Citi’s best cash back rewards cards designed exclusively for Costco members
- No annual fee with your paid Costco membership and enjoy no foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Receive an annual credit card reward certificate, which is redeemable for cash or merchandise at U.S. Costco warehouses, including Puerto Rico
Best Citi Credit Cards of 2021
|Credit Card||Best For||Annual Fee||Rewards Calculator|
|Citi Premier® Card||Travel Rewards||$95||Calculate|
|Citi Rewards+® Card||Rewards||$0||Calculate|
|American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card||Earning AA Miles||$0||Calculate|
|Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®||Frequent AA Flyers||$99, waived for first 12 months||Calculate|
|Citi® Double Cash Card||Cash Back||$0||Calculate|
|Citi Custom Cash℠ Card||High 5% Back Earnings||$0||Calculate|
|Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi||Travel & Costco||$0, but requires Costco Membership||Calculate|
Best For Travel Rewards: Citi Premier® Card
Card Overview: The Citi Premier Card offers 3X points on restaurant, supermarket, gas station, air travel, and hotel purchases and 1X points on all other purchases. The card offers an annual $100 hotel savings benefits on hotels booked through thankyou.com and allows you to transfer ThankYou Points to Citi's full list of 15+ travel partners including JetBlue Airways. The card also has no foreign transaction fee which makes it great for earning rewards worldwide.
Worth The Fee? If you're looking to earn a great return across several popular everyday and travel categories, the Citi Premier Card is worth picking up. It's also a great option if you enjoy flying JetBlue Airways as you'll be able to transfer your points to JetBlue TrueBlue at a 1:1 ratio.
Calculator: Citi Premier® Card Cash Value Calculator
Best For General Rewards: Citi Rewards+® Card
Card Overview: The Citi Rewards+ Card is great for earning general rewards on everyday purchases. It earns 2X points on up to $6,000 in combined annual spend at supermarkets and gas stations (then 1X). The two main benefits of the card is that every purchase automatically round up to the nearest 10 points with no cap and you'll get 10% of your points back when redeeming them which bumps up the value of the card.
Worth Picking Up? If you're planning on diving into the Citi ThankYou Rewards program, the Citi Rewards Plus Card is worth picking up thanks to the point round up and 10% point rebate. It has no annual fee which makes it a great addition to earning points on everyday spending.
Calculator: Citi Rewards+® Card Cash Value Calculator
Best For Earning AA Miles: American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card
Card Overview: The American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Card is one of the best no-annual fee options for earning AAdvantage Miles on everyday spend. It earns 2X miles on American Airlines purchases and at grocery stores, and 1X on everything else. If you're big on in-flight purchases when flying American Airlines, the card also offers 25% off in-flight food and beverage purchases.
Worth Picking Up? The American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Card is worth picking up if you fly American Airlines a handful of time per year and you're looking to earn some bonus miles on your grocery spend.
Best For Frequent AA Flyers: Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
Card Overview: The Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard is the best entry-level credit card for frequent American Airlines flyers. It earns 2X miles on American Airlines, gas station, and restaurant purchases and 1X miles on all other purchases. The card offers a free checked bag for you and up to 4 companions traveling with you, priority benefits such as check-in and screening, a $125 flight discount after $20,000 in spend during the card membership year, and 25% off in-flight purchases.
Worth The Fee? If you frequently fly American Airlines and typically have to pay for bags, the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard will pay for itself since you'll be saving a good amount of money round-trip on the cost of bags for yourself and anyone traveling with you. Along with that, the 2X earnings on gas and restaurant is also a plus since this is one of the best returns you can get across these categories.
Best For Cash Back: Citi® Double Cash Card
Card Overview: The Citi Double Cash Card is one of the best flat rate cash back credit cards on the market. It earns 2% cash back on all purchases in which you'll earn 1% back on the purchase and 1% back when you pay off those purchases. The card has no annual fee and rewards earned with the card can be converted to ThankYou Rewards Points which gives the card even more value.
Worth Picking Up? The Citi Double Cash Card is a great option if you're looking for easy cash back rewards. Since the card has no annual fee, you'll earn a 2% return on all spend. Pair it with a premium credit card, such as the Citi Premier Card, and you'll be able to transfer your earned rewards to 15+ travel partners which bumps the return even higher. If you're looking to earn cash back with Citi or maximize your rewards in the ThankYou Rewards program, I highly recommend picking up the Citi Double Cash Card.
Calculator: Citi® Double Cash Card Cash Value Calculator
Best For High 5% Back Earnings: Citi Custom Cash℠ Card
Card Overview: The Citi Custom Cash Card earns 5% back on purchases in your top eligible spend category each billing cycle on up to the first $500 spent (then 1%). There's a total of 10 eligible categories which are restaurant, gas station, grocery store, select travel, select transit, select streaming services, drugstores, home improvement stores, fitness clubs, and live entertainment. The card has no annual fee and rewards earned with the card can be converted to ThankYou Rewards Points.
Worth Picking Up? If you want to maximize your cash back rewards or ThankYou Rewards with Citi, this is a card you'll want to pick up. Since it has no annual fee, you're looking at a nice 5%/5x across the eligible category with the most spend. You'll want to dedicate this card to a single category in which you think you'll spend the most in and the run all other spend through the Citi Double Cash or another card that earns a solid return.
Calculator: Citi Custom Cash℠ Card Cash Value Calculator
Best For Costco & Travel: Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
Card Overview: If you shop at Costco and you're looking to earn great rewards, the Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi could be calling your name. It earns 4% cash back on up to $7,000 per year in gas purchases (then 1%), 3% cash back on restaurant and travel purchases, 2% cash back on Costco and Costco.com purchases, and 1% cash back on everything else. The card has no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee. Rewards earned with the card are issued annually in the form of a reward certificate which is redeemable for cash or merchandise at U.S. Costco warehouses.
Worth Picking Up? The Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi offers a great return across several categories. The only drawback to the card for some will be that rewards are issued annually instead of monthly like most rewards cards. If that doesn't bother you, then the card is worth picking up as it's great for both everyday spending and travel.
Citi offers both cash back and point earning cards that can be great if you're looking to build rewards towards travel, cash back, gift cards, and more.
Citi ThankYou Rewards
The Citi ThankYou Rewards program is one of the top rewards programs in the United States. Points earned in the program have the best redemption values when used towards travel or transferred to Citi's airline and hotel partners. The table below lists the most common redemptions along with the average value you'll get out of your points for each.
|Avg. Value of 1 Point||Redemption|
|$0.012 to $0.017+||Transferring To Partners|
|$0.005||Cash Back, Statement Credit|
Citi Cash Back
Citi offers two cash back credit cards: Citi Double Cash Card and Citi Custom Cash Card. Both cards offer a solid return on your spend and have no annual fee. Plus, you can convert your earned cash back into ThankYou Rewards Points which adds significant value to these cards.
Comparing Citi Credit Cards
Citi offers a handful of credit cards and deciding on which card is best will depend on the type of rewards you're looking to earn and how you plan on redeeming them. Your personal spending habits will also play a big role on which card may be best for you. Listed below are some of the most credit card comparisons involving Citi credit cards. You can compare the benefits and calculate the cash value of the compared cards based on spend, the value of benefits, and annual fees.
Best Citi Credit Cards By Spend Calculator
The Best Citi Credit Cards By Spend Calculator will give you an idea of which Citi credit cards will offer you the most rewards based on your spend. Results will be sorted by net return which is the average value of the rewards earned, plus annual credits, and minus annual fees. Results will consist of top-rated Citi credit cards from our partners.
The results below are estimates on how much you can earn with each of the listed credit cards based on the spend you entered in the fields above. Do note that these estimates are to help guide you towards making the best decision when it comes to picking up a rewards credit card and that they should be used for illustrative purposes only.
Credit cards featured in the article above may not appear in the results below based on the spend you entered. This is because what's considered the "top cards" or "best cards" may not be the same for you. You can click on More Details for info on the earning rates and benefits of each card listed as well as calculate rewards on a deeper level which includes:
- Comparing results against any credit card featured on the site
- Factoring in memberships and hotel elite status (if applicable)
- Viewing rewards as if you transferred them to partners
- Entering credit card bonuses and current sign up bonuses
- Toggling/editing annual fees and authorized user fees
Any spend that you entered into the fields above will roll over to all the credit card calculators on the website, so it's no need to re-enter information.
Results will show up to the top 10 best credit cards. Depending on the spend or the cards available, it may show less.