Sam's Club is an American membership-only warehouse club. Sam's Club has a little under 600 locations in the United States as well as other locations in Mexico, China, and Brazil. They are owned by Walmart and headquartered out of the same city of Bentonville, Arkansas.
Sam's Club Credit Card Cash Back Calculators
Sam's Club offers one credit card which is the best option for earning cash back on your Sam's Club purchases if you have Sam's Club Plus Membership. It's also one of the best credit cards for gas spending as you'll earn 5% back on up to $6,000 per year (then 1%). If you don't mind your rewards being tied to the Sam's Club rewards program, it's a great card to have.
- Sam’s Club cardholders can easily make purchases, track spending, check and pay balances, and securely manage and freeze accounts via the Sam’s Club mobile app enabled by the Synchrony plug-in (‘SyPi’).
- Rewards are automatically loaded onto membership cards and can be used for future purchases made both online and in-club, or exchanged for cash back.
- Contact-free technology, including the integration of payments capabilities into Sam’s Scan & Go patented solution, both in-club and at the pump.
- Plus members earn 3% back on eligible purchases when shopping in-club or digitally through Sam’s Club when they use their Sam’s Club® Mastercard® and another 2% back from their Plus membership, for a total of up to 5% rewards on eligible purchases.
Earning Sam's Club Cash Rewards
Sam's Club has two different cash rewards programs. They have one available to U.S. Sam's Club Plus members and one for Sam's Club Mastercard holders. It's possible to accrue cash back in both programs and I would recommend such if you frequently shop at Sam's Club. All earned rewards in both programs are attached to your membership account for you to use once they're able to be redeemed.
Sam's Club Plus Membership
There's two type of Sam's Club memberships: Sam's Club and Sam's Plus. Sam's Club membership is the basic membership that allows you to make purchases inside of Sam's Club locations. Sam's Plus is a higher form of membership that grants access to Sam's Club and comes several additional benefits which includes:
- 2% back on qualifying Sam's Club purchases
- Increased earnings with the Sam's Club Mastercard
- Free shipping with no minimum shopping online at samsclub.com
- Early shopping hours before the store is opened to the public (select stores)
- Free select prescriptions at the pharmacy
- 20% discount on eyeglasses and free shipping on contact lenses
Sam's Club Plus membership costs $100 per year whereas the basic Sam's Club membership will cost you $45.
Is Sam's Club Plus Membership Worth It?
The Sam's Club Plus Membership is worth it if:
- You spend more than $2,750 per year or $229 per month in-club or online with Sam's Club
- You value the benefits that come with Plus membership to be more than $55 in value (such as free shipping and other discounts)
- You have the Sam's Club Mastercard
Spend: Sam's Club Plus members earn 2% back when shopping at Sam's Club. Since the difference between basic membership and Plus membership is $55, you'll need to spend $2,750 per year or $229 per month at Sam's Club to make up that difference. If you spend more than that per month/year, the Sam's Club Plus membership will be worth it.
Benefits: Sam's Club Plus membership offers several perks that can easily be worth more than $55 if you use them. This includes the free shipping benefit offered shopping online, the 20% discounts on eyeglasses and free/discounted pharmacy prescriptions.
Credit Card: Sam's Club Plus members who have the Sam’s Club® Mastercard® will be able to earn 5% back at Sam's Club. You'll earn 2% back as a Plus member along with 3% back with the Sam's Club Mastercard on Sam's Club purchases. Non-Plus members will only earn 1% back with the Mastercard. If you use this card even mildly at Sam's Club, you'll want to be a Plus member.
Earning Cash Rewards w/ Sam's Club Plus
As a Sam's Club Plus member, you'll earn 2% in Cash Rewards on qualifying pre-tax purchases minus any redeemed savings or discounts during a membership year with a maximum reward of $500 per membership per 12-month period. This means you can earn on up to $25,000 in spend per membership year.
Only the primary member or complimentary household cardholder (usually a spouse, roommate, etc.) can earn Cash Rewards on purchases. Add-On members will not earn Cash Rewards for the primary member nor will they earn rewards for themselves.
Do note that are many exclusions when it comes to earning cash rewards. Before you calculate if the card is worth it (it usually still is), you'll want to note that you cannot earn Cash Rewards on the following purchases (pulled from terms & conditions):
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Merchandise or services sold or provided on samsclub.com website including those websites not hosted by Sam's Club.
- Gift Cards, including third party Gift Cards and eGift Cards
- Inventory, sales, or services belonging to or offered by third parties (including but not limited to travel, identity protection services, subscriptions, auto buying program, insurance, merchant credit card payment processing services, business payment solutions, etc.)
- Lottery tickets
- Service contracts (example - mobile phone contracts)
- Pharmacy - prescriptions
- Photo Center
- Postage stamps
- Services and Labor (examples - delivery, tire installation, etc.)
- Taxes and fees (including sales tax, deposits, miscellaneous fees etc.)
- Service Plans
It seems like a lot, but Sam's Club sells a lot of stuff. Outside of milk, you still have groceries, electronics, home & garden, and many more categories. So don't let the list of exclusions worry you.
Sam's Club Plus Earnings Calculator
Use the Sam's Club Plus Earnings Calculator to calculate how much cash back you can earn spending with Sam's Club. Enter how much you spend per month and the calculator will output how much cash back you can earn in the Sam's Club Cash Rewards program. You can hold up to a maximum of $2,000 in Sam's Club Cash Rewards.
Sam's Club Mastercard Cash Rewards
The Sam's Club Mastercard earns cash back per $1 spent on the card. Cash back earned with the card is automatically loaded onto your Sam's Club membership each February for the Cash Back earned during the previous calendar year. So for example, all of the cash back you earn up until December 31st of this year will be loaded onto your membership next year during the month of February. Do note that Sam's Club no longer mails out your rewards in the form of a checks every February (ended February 2020).
Redeeming Sam's Club Cash Rewards
About two months before the end of the membership year, Cash Rewards earned from Sam's Club Plus Membership are loaded onto your Sam's Club account. You can only hold up to a maximum balance $2,000 in Cash Rewards. Once you hit that max, you will no longer accrue rewards so make sure you're using your earned rewards.
Cash Rewards can be redeemed for purchases online, at any Sam's Club location, in the Sam's Club mobile app, or for cash at a register in Sam's Club. This can only be done by the primary member or complimentary household cardholder.
If you close your Sam's Club account or downgrade to the a regular Sam's Club membership, you will have up to one year to collect any previously award Cash Rewards.
What is Sam's Club Cash Rewards?
The Sam's Club Cash Rewards program is open to those who have the Sam's Club Plus membership. It offers 2% cash back on all eligible purchases in-store and online with Sam's Club as well as offers many other benefits.
How do you redeem Sam's Club Cash Rewards?
Sam's Club Cash Rewards can be redeemed in-store at any register, towards membership, as a statement credit, and for cash back at a staffed register.
How much is a Sam's Club Plus membership?
A Sam's Club Plus membership will cost you $100 which is $55 more than the standard membership.
Is Sam's Club Plus membership worth it?
The membership is worth it if: A) You spend more than $229 per month at Sam's Club, B) you value the benefits and discounts higher than the $55 difference between Plus and non-Plus membership, or C) you own the Sam's Club Mastercard which earns additional cash back as a Plus member.
How many cards can you get with a Sam's Club membership?
Sam's Club members can have up to 8 add-ons and Sam's Club Plus members can have up to 16 add-ons.
How much does it cost to add someone to Sam's Club membership?
Sam's Club members and Sam's Club Plus members can obtain add-ons for an additional fee of $40 per add-on. All add-ons are for basic Club membership regardless of the membership of the primary member.