The Amtrak World Mastercard is great for anyone looking to build up their Amtrak Guest Rewards Points. The card earns 3x points on Amtrak and 2x points on general travel purchases while also offering a bunch of annual benefits such as an annual companion pass, one-class upgrade, and lounge access.
|Authorized User Fee|
|Foreign Transaction Fee|
The Amtrak World Mastercard features two bonus categories which are Amtrak purchases and general travel purchases (not including Amtrak). There's no limit to the amount of bonus points you can earn spending in these categories and no limit to the amount of points you can earn with the card overall.
- 3x Amtrak
- Includes Amtrak Tickets and onboard net purchases charged to the card where Amtrak is the merchant of the record.
- 2x Travel
- Travel purchases count as:
- Car Rental Agencies
- Hotel, Motel, Inns, Resorts
- Cruise Line, Steamship
- Commuter and Passenger Rail
- Travel Agencies (e.g. Expedia, Hotels.com)
- Travel purchases count as:
- 1x Non-Category
Perks & Benefits
The Amtrak World Mastercard is packed with a few benefits like award point rebates, companion coupons, class upgrades, and bonus points based on spend.
- 5% Rebate
- Booking award travel on Amtrak will give you 5% of your redeemed points back.
- This benefit is unlimited.
- 20% On-board Savings
- Discount applies to food and beverages purchased onboard Amtrak.
- Discount is in the form of a statement credit.
- Annual Lounge Pass
- Receive a lounge pass good for a complimentary visit to a ClubAcela or Metropolitan Lounge visit.
- Annual Companion Pass
- Receive a companion pass every year on your cardmember anniversary date.
- Companion rides for free when you purchase a regular adult rail ticket with Amtrak.
- Annual Class Upgrade
- Receive a coupon for a one-class upgrade when you renew your card (as in pay the annual fee).
- Earn Tier Qualifying Points
- Every $5,000 you spend on the card will earn you 1,000 Tier Qualifying Points (TQPs).
- You can earn up to 4,000 TQPs per calendar year.
Sign Up Bonus
The standard sign up bonus for the Amtrak World Mastercard is 20,000 points after making $1,000 in purchases within 90 days of account opening. This sign up bonus as an average cash value of around $400, but it's not hard to get even more value.
Along with the sign up bonus, you'll also receive all of the annual benefits during the first year which is the companion coupon, one-class upgrade, and lounge pass.
The annual fee for the Amtrak World Mastercard is $79 which is not bad at all considering the value this card holds if you frequently travel with Amtrak. The 2x-3x point earnings along with the value of the benefits this card offers far exceeds the annual fee in my opinion.
Authorized User Fee
There is no authorized user fee for the Amtrak World Mastercard. If you have friends or family that spend on Amtrak and general travel purchases, adding them will greatly help you build your Amtrak Guest Rewards Points.
Foreign Transaction Fee
The Amtrak World Mastercard has no foreign transaction fee. That makes this card a solid choice for earning Amtrak Points worldwide which is great considering it has a nice 2x travel category.
You can use the rewards calculator to calculate how many points, miles, or cash back you can earn based on your spend per category. This calculator will also give you the dollar value of the card based on the value of the rewards earned and how much each benefit is worth to you, minus the annual fees. You can click the Compare A Card button to compare this card side by side any other card featured on the site within the same calculator.
Note! All category spend entered in the primary card's column (first column when comparing cards) will carry over to all credit card calculators on the site. This means you will not have to re-enter the same information again and again when browsing during the session.