Avis is a U.S.-based car rental company headquartered in New Jersey. They are part of the Avis Budget Group which also consists of Budget Rent A Car, Budget Truck Rental, Payless Car Rental, and several other companies. Avis has more than 5,550 locations which spans across North America, South America, Europe, India, Australia, and New Zealand.
Avis Preferred is the loyalty program of Avis Rent-A-Car. Enrolling with the Avis Preferred program allows you to earn reward points for rentals and accessories, expedited check-in to your vehicle, complimentary upgrades, and much more. As you continue to rent cars and spend money with Avis, you will earn elite status in the Avis Preferred program which earns you more points and benefits with every rental.
Earning Avis Points
In order to earn Avis Points, airline miles, or hotel points, you'll need to have an Avis Preferred account. Signing up is free and easy to do.
- Go to Avis.com.
- Click Sign Up.
- Enter your personal info which includes country, name, and email.
- Create a password.
- Click Save.
When you're signing up for an Avis account, you'll be able to enter an Avis Worldwide Discount (AWD) number. This is a seven character code that consists of one letter followed by six numbers which ties your Avis Preferred account to a specific discount. The AWD number could be with a specific credit card company, frequent flyer program, or any other program that offers some type of discount and/or bonus when booking your car rentals with Avis.
Earning Points Spending At Avis
Avis Preferred members will earn Avis Points by default. Points will be earned per $1 spent with Avis and the amount of points you earn will depend on your Avis Preferred Level in their program. The higher your level in the Avis Preferred program, the more points you will earn on car rentals and car accessories with Avis.
The Avis Points Earning Calculator below will calculate how many Avis Points you can earn per $1 spent on Avis car rentals and car accessories.
Avis Partner Rewards Program
Avis Preferred members can earn airline miles and hotel points when booking Avis rentals. This is done directly through your Avis Preferred account by setting up your preferences in the Avis Partner Rewards Program.
- Go to Avis.com and sign in.
- Click on your name and go to My Profile.
- Click on Rewards in the left column.
- Scroll down to Partner Rewards Program and click Set Up.
- Set Earn Travel Partner Miles & Points to Yes.
- Select the program you want to earn rewards with and enter the membership number.
- Click Save.
Once that is done, you'll start to earn rewards with the program you selected on every qualifying car rental with Avis. This will be automatic based on the program you selected and all you have to do is rent cars with Avis as normal.
In addition to earning miles with your favorite rewards program, some programs also offer Avis Worldwide Discount codes. These codes will earn you additional benefits such as savings on the base rate or a one car-class upgrade. Always try to make sure that you're adding an Avis Worldwide Discount code when booking your rental.
You can get the full details on the Avis Miles, Points & Partners page located on the Avis website.
Avis Airline Partners
Avis has roughly 90 airline partners that are listed under the Avis Partner Rewards Program. The amount of miles you earn with these partners will vary by airline. Some airlines will offer a set amount of miles per $1 spent with Avis while others will offer a set amount of miles per rental or rental day.
- Aer Lingus AerClub
- Aeroflot Bonus
- Aerolineas Argentinas Plus
- Aeropostal Airlines
- Air Astana
- Air Baltic
- Air Berlin
- Air China
- Air France/KLM
- Air Luxor
- AIR MILES Loyalty Program
- Air New Zealand Airpoints
- Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
- Alitalia Club MilleMiglia
- All Nippon Airways
- American AAdvantage
- Asia Air BIG
- Austrian Airlines Qualiflyer
- Bangkok Airways
- Bank One
- Braathens S.A.F.E. Frequent Flyer
- British Airways Executive Club
- British Midland Diamond Club
- Cathay Pacific Airlines
- China Airlines
- Copa ConnectMiles
- Czeck Airlines OK Plus
- Deutche Bahn
- EL AL Frequent Traveler
- (China) Eastern Miles
- Emirates Skywards
- Etihad Airways
- Eva Air Evergreen Club
- Finnair Plus
- Frontier Airlines
- Garuda Indonesia
- GlobalPass / LatinPass
- Gulf Air
- HK Express reward-U
- Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles
- Iberia Plus
- Japan Airlines (JMB)
- JetBlue TrueBlue
- Kingfisher Airlines
- Korean Air SKYPASS
- Kuwait Airways
- LE Club
- Lot Voyager
- LOYALTY PLUS
- LanChile Airlines LanPass
- Lufthansa Miles and More
- Malaysian Airlines
- Miles&Smiles (Turkish Airlines)
- Multiplus Advantage
- Nordic Choice Club
- Norwegian Reward
- Oman Air
- Philippine Airlines
- Qantas Frequent Flyer
- Qatar Airways Privilege Club
- Royal Brunei
- Safar Flyer
- SAS EuroBOnus
- SN Brussels Privilege
- Saudia Alfursan
- Singapore KrisFlyer
- Sky Pearl
- South African Airways Voyager
- Southwest Rapid Rewards
- Spanair Plus
- Spirit Airlines Free Spirit
- Srilankan Airlines
- Swiss TravelClub
- TAP Air Portugal Frequent Flyer
- Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus
- US Airways Dividend Miles
- Ukraine International Airlines
- Ukraine Intl
- Vietnam Airlines
- Virgin Flying Club
Avis Hotel Partners
The Avis Partner Rewards Program features seven hotel partners that you can choose from when setting up your account. The amount of hotel loyalty points you earn with the program varies by hotel. You'll either earn a certain amount of hotel points per $1 spent with Avis or you will earn a certain amount of points per rental or rental day.
Avis Rail Partners
Avis has one rail partner which is the French National Railway Company (SNCF). You can select this rail partner when signing up for your Avis Preferred account, but it is not listed under the Avis Partner page.
Redeeming Points & Avis Points Value
The value of Avis Points depend on the cost of the vehicle Point can be redeemed for a value of up to 7.1 cents per point. It's hard to get anything less than 3.5 cents per point, so you're almost guaranteed to get some solid value when redeeming them.
Redeeming For Free Rentals
One thing that you'll need to know about getting the best value out of your Avis Points is that redemptions will be split up into levels. Each level is based on the standard daily rate of the vehicle and there are four levels. Level 1 contains the cheapest rentals at 700 points for a free rental while level 4 contains the more expensive rentals which will cost you a whopping 3,500 Avis Points per day.
Based on each of these levels and the standard daily rate, you will be able to get a certain value out of your Avis Points. Which level gives the best value? Level 1 gives you up to 7.1 cents per point.
|Level 1 Rental||Up to 7.1 cents|
|Level 2 Rental||3.5 cents to 6 cents|
|Level 3 Rental||4 cents to 5.9 cents|
|Level 4 Rental||3.5 cents to 6.4 cents|
With each level, you'll want to get as close to the standard daily rate as possible to get the most value out of your points. So when redeeming your points for a Level 1 vehicle, you'll want to get as close to $50 in value as possible. With Level 2, you'll want to get as close to $85 as possible and so on. This is because each level is defined between a minimum and maximum daily rate. So a car that has a standard daily rate of $50.01 will cost the same 1,400 points per day as a car that has a standard daily rate of $85 because they both fall under Level 2.
For example if you choose to pick up an economy car for $51.84, it would cost you 1,400 points and give you an Avis Points value of 3.7 cents each.
Not too shabby... but you can do better in terms of value since you can get up to a standard daily rate of $85. If you wanted to ride in style, the sports car below would cost the same 1,400 points and give you an Avis Points value of 4.2 cents each.
What if you're looking for more room? There's several larger vehicles that can give you that space you need for the same 1,400 points and give you an Avis Points value of more than 5 cents each.
So to get the best value out of your Avis Points, you'll want to aim for the highest costing vehicle in the level. As previously mentioned, you'll get at least a value of 3.5 cents per Avis Point. If your calculations are coming out to be lower than that, I would avoid that redemption. You're not going to get 7.1 cents in value from your Avis Points all the time. I recommend aiming for at least a value of 5 cents per point.
Avis Accessories Redemptions
If you're looking for other redemptions, you can also use your points to pay for all the fun gadgets and accessories that Avis offers. This includes:
- Hands Free Navigation (GPS)
- Satellite Radio
- Cover Roadside Issues (RSN)
All of these accessories and services will cost you 250 points per day and with a cash price ranging between $7.99 and $15.99 per day depending on the accessory.
Hands Free Navigation (GPS)
Redeeming your Avis Points for GPS will give you a pretty superb Avis Point value of about 6.18 cents each. This gives you turn-by-turn directions with GPS which could be valuable to anyone that's looking to not burn data on using the GPS on their cell phone.
If you're a fan of XM Radio, you can redeem your Avis Points for SiriusXM and get an Avis Point value of 3.19 cents each. SiriusXM offers commercial-free music from almost every genre, plus sports, news and talk.
Cover Roadside Issues (RSN)
Driving can be unpredictable, so Avis offers the ability to cover roadside issues such as flat tires, dead batteries and lost keys. Redeeming your Avis Points for these services will give your Avis Points a value of 3.19 cents each.
Avis Points Value Calculator
Use the Avis Points Value Calculator to calculate the average cash value of Avis Preferred Points based on the redemption options listed.
Avis Preferred Levels and Benefits
The Avis Preferred program features three tiers which are Avis Preferred, Avis Preferred Plus, and a level of Avis Preferred Plus that earns more points (Avis still calls it Preferred Plus). Status within the program can be reached by renting cars or spending a certain amount of money with Avis during the calendar year.
Qualifying rentals with Avis is considered to be a completed, paid rental at participating Avis worldwide locations that is checked out and checked in within the same calendar year. Rentals must be checked out at participating Avis locations. Opaque rental sites (such as Hotwire and Priceline) where rental vehicles are based on price and not supplier, will not apply. Some third party sites allow you to enter your Avis membership number. If that's the case, you'll more than likely receive credit for your rental which would apply.
Avis Preferred Member
When you sign up for an Avis Preferred Account, you will become a member. Members will have access to several benefits right off the bat.
- Ability To Earn Avis Points
- Earn points on Avis Rentals and on Avis accessories.
- Ability To Redeem Avis Points
- Redeem Points for free rentals starting at 700 points per day or for accessories and upgrades.
- Expedited Services
- Go straight to your car and drive off; avoid lines.
- Monthly Offers
Avis Preferred Plus
The second tier in the Avis Preferred program is Avis Preferred Plus status. This status is obtained after one of the following requirements is met:
- 12 Qualifying Rentals
- $5,000 Spend With Avis
Once you've met one of those requirements, you will be given Avis Preferred Plus status. This status comes the benefits of being an Avis Member along with several additional benefits.
- 25% Bonus Avis Points
- 1.25 Avis Points per $1 spend on car rentals.
- 2.5 Avis Points per $1 spent on accessories.
- Complimentary Upgrades
- Receive one-class car upgrades when available.
- Special Phone Number For Customer Support
Avis Preferred Plus + Points
While Preferred Plus is technically the highest tier, you can receive additional bonus points by meeting one of the following requirements:
- 25 Qualifying Rentals
- $7,000 Spend With Avis
Once you've met one of these requirements, you'll earn a 50% point bonus when spending with Avis.
- 50% Bonus Avis Points
- 1.5 Avis Points per $1 spend on car rentals.
- 3 Avis Points per $1 spent on accessories.
Avis Car Insurance
When booking rentals with Avis, you'll want to find a credit card that offers Primary Rental Insurance. This allows you to waive the expensive coverage cost that rental car agencies charge per day.
Depending on how often you rent cars, you can save hundreds per year using credit cards with this benefit. You'll typically save more money than the value of the rewards you earn using a credit card that offers a great return on car rentals but no primary rental insurance.
Credit Cards That Offer Rental Insurance Coverage
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
- Rose Gold is back. You can now choose between Gold or Rose Gold.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, including takeout and delivery, and earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Uber Cash on Gold: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- Get up to 12 complimentary months of an Uber Eats Pass subscription when you enroll with your Gold Card by 12/31/21.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Avis + Cash Back Portals
If you're looking to maximize your earnings with Avis, you'll want to consider using cash back portals. These portals allow you to earn cash back (or points in some instances) on top of the rewards you would already earn renting your car with Avis. Here's how it works:
- Start at the cash back portal's website and search for Avis
- Once you find Avis, click Shop Now to start a new session
- You'll be dropped off on Avis.com to book your rental as normal
- Once you book and complete your rental reservation, the cash back portal will be notified
- Cash back will be credited to your account
So you end up earning at most rewards booking with Avis, rewards with the credit card you used to pay for your rentals, and cash back from the portal. The best thing about cash back portals is that they're free to sign up for and free to use. Cash back portals make their money off you clicking through their 'Shop Now' affiliate links, so it's no fees or anything that you need to worry about.
I highly recommend using cash back and shopping portals for all online spending when possible. It's an easy way to double and triple dip on rewards with very little effort.
If you don't have an account with any of the leading cash back portals, you can help out the site and earn bonus cash back on your first purchases by signing up using the links below.
How do you earn Avis Preferred Points?
Avis Preferred Points are earned per $1 spent on Avis rentals and accessories.
How much are Avis Points worth?
Avis points can be worth as much as 7.1 cents each and as little as 3.5 cents when redeemed for free rentals.
Can you earn airline miles or hotel points with Avis?
Yes. You can set your earning preferences with Avis to earn rewards with more than 90 different rewards programs.
Does Avis have a co-branded credit card?
No. I recommend using a credit card that offers Primary Car Rental Insurance over a card that earns bonus rewards on car rental spend.
How do I redeem Avis Points?
You redeem Avis Points by booking your vehicle as normal. You will be given the option to redeem points when making the reservation.
Do Avis Points expire?
Avis Points expire after 12 months of no activity on your account. Points will also expire automatically five years after they are earned.
What is Avis Preferred status?
Avis Preferred is Avis Car Rental's elite status program. Status is earned based on either number of rentals per year or money spend per year with Avis.
Does Avis Preferred cost money?
No. Joining Avis Preferred is free of charge.
What are the benefits of Avis Preferred?
Avis Preferred status will earn you more points per $1 spent on rentals and accessories along with complimentary upgrades and monthly offers.
What is Avis AWD number?
AWD stands for Avis World Discount and it is a number that is assigned to certain programs that identifies eligibility for contracted features or rates.
Are Budget and Avis the same?
Avis and Budget are both owned by the same parent company which is Avis Budget Group Inc.