Best Credit Cards with Car Rental Insurance
When it comes to looking for the best credit card for car rentals, I recommend looking for credit cards that offers Primary Rental Insurance over looking for one that earns rewards.
Primary Car Rental Insurance allows you to decline the costly per-day rate that car rental agencies charge. The savings you can gain from this is significantly higher than any rewards you would typically earn.
Chase Credit Cards
Chase credit cards are going to be the best option for car rentals since most of their cards offer complimentary primary rental insurance.
Best Well-Rounded Travel Card
Chase Sapphire Preferred®
Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
Earn 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
Earn 3X points on online grocery purchases, select streaming services, and dining.
Earn 2X points on all other travel purchases.
Earn 1X points per dollar spent on all other purchases.
Main Card Highlights
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
Foreign Transaction Fee
Best For Cash Back Rewards
American Express Credit Cards
All American Express credit cards offer secondary insurance by default, but you can pay $12 to $25 (depending on your state) per rental to upgrade it to primary car rental insurance.
While it may not be complimentary like Chase, the small fee is still very much worth it because you're looking at a "charge per-rental" versus the "charge per-day" rate rental car agencies charge you. So you'll still end up saving tons of money per rental.
Plus, when compared to Chase, AMEX's car rental insurance offers a longer 42-day rental period, higher coverage, and covers special vehicle types such as luxury vehicles, pickup trucks, and more.
Best For Dining & U.S. Restaurants
American Express® Gold Card
Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, including takeout and delivery.
Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
Earn 1X Membership Rewards® point on all other purchases.
Main Card Highlights
- Rose Gold is back. You can now choose between Gold or Rose Gold.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, including takeout and delivery, and earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Uber Cash on Gold: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- Get up to 12 complimentary months of an Uber Eats Pass subscription when you enroll with your Gold Card by 12/31/21.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Authorized User Fee
$0 for the first five add'l cards, then $35 per card for the sixth card onward
Foreign Transaction Fee
Best For Lounge Access & Luxury Travel
Best For Lounge Access & Luxury Business Travel