There's a handful of credit cards that can earn you a solid return on your gas station spending. Review the best credit cards in Canada for gas and fuel purchases and calculate which cards can earn you the most rewards based on your spend.
Best Gas Credit Cards In Canada
This page details our top picks for the best credit cards in Canada for gas and fuel purchases. There's also a Rewards Calculator at the bottom of this page that you can use to estimate which credit cards can earn you the best average return on your spend.
The cards on this page are updated periodically. New cards are introduced from time to time and the benefits of current cards could change at any time.
You can also use our Credit Card Finder Tool to search by spend across all credit cards in our database.
Best No-Fee Card For Gas
The best no annual fee credit card for earning easy and simple cash back rewards is the Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card.
It earns 2% cash back on two categories of your choice in which gas station is one of the many you can choose from. If you opt to have your rewards deposited into your Tangerine Savings Account, you'll be able to select a third category to earn 2% cash back in.
The Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card has no annual fee and there's no cap on the amount of rewards you can earn. You can also change your 2% categories to suit your spending habits in the case that they change.
- Earn an extra 15% back (up to $150) on up to $1,000 of your everyday purchases in the first 2 months with a Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card.
- Earn 2% Money-Back Rewards on purchases in two 2% Money-Back Categories of your choice, and 0.50% Money-Back Rewards on all other purchases.
- Have your Money-Back Rewards deposited into a Tangerine Savings Account, and get a 3rd 2% Money-Back Category.
- No limit on the amount of Money-Back Rewards you can earn.
- Change your 2% Money-Back Categories to suit your spending.
- Extended warranty and purchase protection.
- Income Requirement: $15,000/year Individual.
- Want the same great earnings at no annual fee, but with additional benefits? Check out the Tangerine World Mastercard®.
Best Card For Esso & Mobil
If you spend shop often at Loblaw brand companies and typically get your gas from Esso or Mobil, you'll want to grab up the PC Financial World Elite Mastercard®.
It earns 30X Optimum PC Points with Loblaw Companies and PC Travel, at least 30X points per litre with Esso and Mobil, and 10X on everything else.
Points earned with the card can be redeemed at grocery and drug stores that fall under the Loblaw Companies brands which includes Loblaws, NoFrills, Zehrs, and Shopper Drug Mart to name a few.
- Earn at least 30 points per litre at Esso and Mobil.
- Stack your points by linking your PC Optimum™ card and PC Financial® Mastercard®.
- Earn up to 45 points per $1 at Shoppers Drug Mart when you use your card to earn 30X on top of the 15X you already receive as a member.
- Earn PC Optimum™ points across many locations and redeem in our grocery and drug stores.
- No annual fee.
- Minimum Income Requirements: $80,000 Individual or $150,000 Household
Best Cash Back Card For Gas
If you want to maximize your rewards on gas spending in the cash back department, the CIBC Dividend Visa Infinite Card is one of the best options in the market.
The card earns 4$ cash back on gas and grocery purchases, 2% back on transit, dining, and recurring payments, and 1% back on everything else. Cash back can easily be redeemed through CIBC Online and Mobile Banking.
The card also offers up to a 10 cent per litre discount at Chevron, Ultramar and Pioneer gas stations, valuable insurance coverage, and travel benefits through the Visa Infinite program.
- Get your cash back anytime through CIBC Online and Mobile Banking®.
- Get valuable insurance coverage, including mobile device and emergency travel medical.
- Save up to 10 cents per litre at Chevron, Ultramar and Pioneer gas stations when you link your card with Journie Rewards.
- Access hotel benefits, unique dining events and 24-hour complimentary concierge services with the Visa Infinite® program.
- Minimum Income Requirements: $60,000 Individual / $100,000 Household
Best Travel Rewards Card For Gas
The BMO eclipse Visa Infinite Card is a great choice if you're looking to earn rewards redeemable towards travel.
The card earns 5X points for every $1 spent on grocery, dining, gas, and transit and 1X on all other purchases. You can also earn a 10% point bonus when you add an authorized user to your account.
Points can be redeemed for travel at a value of 0.714 cents each which includes flights, hotels, car rentals, cruises and vacation packages.
Benefits of the BMO eclipse Visa Infinite Card include an annual $50 lifestyle credit, access to Visa Infinite benefits, and both travel and purchases insurance.
- Earn 10% more points on all purchases when you add an authorized user to your account.
- Get a $50 annual lifestyle credit to use however you want.
- Get access to the Visa Infinite Luxury Hotel Collection and enjoy seven exclusive benefits (like complimentary breakfast).
- Make dining even finer with the Visa Infinite Dining Series.
- Connect to the Visa Infinite Concierge - it’s like having a personal assistant on call!
- Get the Visa Infinite Troon Golf Benefit and enjoy discounts at 95 resorts and courses around the world.
- Get mobile device insurance, purchase security and extended warranty insurance, and travel insurance with your BMO eclipse Visa Infinite Card.
Best No-Fee Travel Rewards Card For Gas
If you want to earn travel rewards without worrying about an annual fee, the MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus Mastercard is going to be the go to.
It earns 2X MBNA Rewards Points on restaurant, grocery, digital media, membership, and household utility purchases on up to $10,000 spent annually in each applicable category. You can also earn up to 10,000 bonus points per year with the Birthday Bonus.
Points earned with the card can be redeemed towards travel at a value of 1 cent each and can also be redeemed for cash back and charity donations at a lower value.
The MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus Card offers mobile device insurance as well as extended warranty benefits and purchase assurance.
- Each year, you will receive Birthday Bonus Points equal to 10% of the total number of Points the account earned in the 12 months before the month of the primary cardholder's birthday, to a maximum Birthday Bonus each year of 10,000 Points
- Redeem points for cash back, brand-name merchandise, gift cards from participating retailers, charitable donations, and travel.
- No Annual Fee
- Your MBNA Rewards Points never expire as long as your account is open and in good standing
- The redemption value for travel is 100 points per $1, while cash and charity donations are 200 points per $1.
- With Mobile Device Insurance, you’ve got up to $1,000 in coverage for eligible mobile devices in the event of loss, theft, accidental damage or mechanical breakdown.
- Extended Warranty Benefits and Purchase Assurance
- Use your MBNA credit card to save a minimum of 10% off the base rates in Canada and the U.S., and a minimum of 5% off the base rates internationally, on qualifying car rentals at participating Avis and Budget locations.
Best Credit Cards For Gas Summary
|Credit Card||Annual Fee||Best For||Learn More|
|Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card||$0||Best No-Fee Card For Gas||Learn More|
|PC Financial World Elite Mastercard®||$0||Best Card For Esso & Mobil||Learn More|
|CIBC Dividend® Visa Infinite Card||$120 (first year rebated)||Best Cash Back Card For Gas||Learn More|
|BMO eclipse Visa Infinite Card||$120||Best Travel Rewards Card For Gas||Learn More|
|MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus® Mastercard®||$0||Best No-Fee Travel Rewards Card For Gas||Learn More|
Best Credit Cards By Spend Calculator
The Best Credit Cards By Spend Calculator will give you an idea of which credit cards will offer you the most rewards and best return based on your spend.
Results will be sorted by net return. This is calculated by taking the average value of the rewards earned adding the average value of card benefits and subtracting any annual fees the card has.
Results will consist of top-rated credit cards in the market.
The results below are estimates on how much you can earn based on the spend you entered in the fields above.
Rewards Calculator - Learn more about the card, dive deeper into calculating rewards, and compare the results side by side other cards featured on the site.
View Website / Learn More - Learn more about the card and apply through the card issuer's secure website.
***Card benefits can change at anytime and those changes may not be reflected immediately on this website. Be sure to check the issuer's website for the most up to date information before applying.