There's a handful of credit cards that can earn you a solid return on your gas station spending. Review our top Canada credit card picks for gas & fuel purchases and calculate which credit cards will earn you the most rewards based on the spend amounts you enter into our tool.
Scotiabank American Express Card
- Earning Rate: Earn 3X Scene+ points at participating grocers, 2X points at restaurants, fast food, drinking establishments, other grocery stores, and on entertainment, gas, and daily transit, and 1X on everything else.
- Main Highlights: New mobile device insurance
- Annual Fee: $0
- Summary: The Scotiabank AMEX Card is a fantastic choice if you're looking to earn rewards redeemable towards travel, grocery, or Cineplex. It offers a great return for a card that has no annual fee.
- Earning Rate: Earn 2% Money-Back on up to two select categories of your choice and 0.5% on all other purchases. Choose a 3rd 2% Money-Back category if you deposit rewards into a Tangerine Savings account.
- Main Highlights: Unlimited 2% Money-Back, rewards paid out monthly, and low income requirement.
- Intro Bonus: Apply for a Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card by November 18, 2022. If you’re approved, you’ll earn an extra 15% back on up to $1,000 in everyday purchases made within your first 2 months.
- Annual Fee: $0.
- Summary: You can choose gas station and another category of your choosing to earn an uncapped 2% back at no annual fee which is fantastic. Rewards are also paid out monthly which is a big plus if you want to reap your rewards sooner.
- Earning Rate: Earn 5X points on the first $2,500 in monthly grocery and restaurant purchases (then 2X), 2X points on gas, electric vehicle charging, recurring bill payments, and À la carte Travel purchases, and 1X on all other purchases.
- Annual Credits: $150 in travel-fee refunds
- Main Highlights: National Bank VIP Lounge access (Montreal-Trudeau) and top-notch travel insurance.
- Intro Bonus: Earn up to 60,000 points. Earn 30,000 points when you spend $5,000 or more in the card within three months of opening, 10,000 points when you sign up for the Mastercard credit card payment insurance for a period of 3 months, and 20,000 points on the first anniversary if you spend $12,000 or more within the first 12 months of opening the account.
- Annual Fee: $0 the first year, then $150
- Summary: The NBC World Elite Mastercard offers high earning rates across several everyday categories. You can redeem points through their À la carte Travel™ Agency at a value of 1 cent per point. The card also features fantastic travel insurance including trip cancellation and trip interruption insurance.
SimplyCash™ Preferred Card from American Express
- Earning Rate: Earn 4% cash back on gas station purchases in Canada, 4% back on grocery purchases in Canada (up to $1,200 cash back annually), and an unlimited 2% back on all other purchases.
- Main Highlights: Unlimited 2% cash back.
- Annual Fee: $9.99 per month which comes out to $119.88 annually.
- Summary: If the places you obtain gas and grocery from accept American Express credit cards, this card cannot be beat. The annual fee on the card may catch your eye, but even 'lite' spending on this card will drown that fee out quickly. This is the best one-and-done cash back credit card in Canada (again, assuming the places you shop at take AMEX).
Scotiabank Gold American Express Card
- Earning Rate: Earn 6X Scene+ points at participating grocers, 5X in Canada on dining, food delivery, entertainment, and other eligible grocery stores, 3X in Canada on gas, daily transit, and select streaming services, and 1X on everything else.
- Main Highlights: Airport Lounge access via Priority Pass, No Foreign Transaction Fees on international purchases, and top-notch travel insurance.
- Annual Fee: $120
- Summary: The Scotiabank Gold AMEX Card is one of the best travel credit cards in Canada with no foreign transaction fee. If you plan on travel internationally or plan on making international purchases, this is the card to have in your wallet.
CIBC Dividend® Visa Infinite Card
- Earning Rate: Earn 4% cash back on gas and groceries, 2% back on transportation, dining, and recurring payments, and 1% back on everything else.
- Main Highlights: Visa Infinite benefits.
- Annual Fee: $120
- Summary: The CIBC Dividend Visa Infinite Card is an excellent choice if you're looking to earn rewards with a Visa. It offers high earning rates (capped at $80,000/year) along with Visa Infinite benefits which includes hotel, dining, and wine tastings benefits.
PC Financial World Elite Mastercard®
- Earning Rate: Earn 30X points with Loblaw Companies and PC Travel and 10X points everything else.
- Main Highlights: Bonus points with Esso and Mobil.
- Annual Fee: $0
- Summary: If you get gas specifically from Esso and Mobil (and shop at Loblaw companies), the PC Financial World Elite Mastercard is an excellent option. You can earn up to 30X points at Esso and Mobil and redeem those points for purchases made at Loblaw companies.
Best Credit Cards For Gas Summary
|Credit Card||Annual Fee||Best For|
|Scotiabank American Express Card||$0||Travel Rewards at No Annual Fee|
|Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card||$0||Unlimited 2% Back at No Annual Fee|
|National Bank World Elite® Mastercard®||$0 the first year, then $150||Travel Rewards with a Mastercard|
|SimplyCash™ Preferred Card from American Express||$9.99 per month ($119.88 annually)||Very High Cash Back|
|Scotiabank Gold American Express Card||$120||No Foreign Transaction Fee|
|CIBC Dividend® Visa Infinite Card||$120||Cash Back with a Visa|
|PC Financial World Elite Mastercard®||$0||Esso & Mobil|
Gas Credit Card Rewards Calculator
Input your monthly and yearly spend amounts to find out how which credit cards will earn you the most rewards and best return on your spending.
No Results. This is usually due to:
- There's no good card options based on the spend entered.
- The calculator is having a brain-fart and is not calculating rewards properly.
Enter different values or try again later.
These estimates are to help guide you towards making the best decision when it comes to picking up a rewards credit card. They should be used for illustrative purposes only. You can click on the estimated earnings to see the calculations or click on the card to learn more.
Do note that all spend amounts entered into the tool above will carry over to every credit card rewards calculator on the site, so there's no need to re-enter spend if you choose to dive deeper into calculating rewards for credit cards on the site.