There's no shortage of credit cards that can earn you a great return on your grocery spending. Review the best credit cards in Canada for grocery purchases and calculate which cards can earn you the most rewards based on your spend.
Best Grocery Credit Cards In Canada
This page details our top picks for the best credit cards in Canada for grocery purchases. There's also a Rewards Calculator at the bottom of this page that you can use to estimate which credit cards can earn you the best average return on your spend.
The cards on this page are updated periodically. New cards are introduced from time to time and the benefits of current cards could change at any time.
You can also use our Credit Card Finder Tool to search by spend across all credit cards in our database.
Best Overall Card For Groceries
The American Express Cobalt Card is one of the best travel rewards credit cards in Canada thanks to it's flexible rewards.
The card earns 5X Membership Rewards Points on restaurant and grocery store purchases (including food delivery), 2X on gas, travel, and transit, and 1X on everything else.
Points earned with the card can be redeemed for significant value towards travel as well as great value for many other redemptions including paying off charges made to the card. You can also transfer Membership Rewards Points to a large handful of partners including Air Canada Aeroplan, Hilton Honors, and Marriott Bonvoy to name a few.
The Cobalt Card features great benefits as well such as special access to exclusive events, up to $100 USD hotel credits when booking stays through The Hotel Collection, and great travel and purchase insurance.
- With your American Express Cobalt Card you can redeem your points towards whatever eligible Card purchases you want – your options are anything but limited
- Cobalt Cardmembers receive regular Perks, including bonus rewards and access to great events.
- Enjoy benefits at over 600 participating hotels and resorts in over 30 countries with The Hotel Collection
- Road trip or flight, you may be protected when you book travel with your Card.
Best Travel Rewards Card For Groceries & Entertainment
If you want to earn rewards towards travel on your grocery, dining, and entertainment spend, you'll want to heavily consider the Scotiabank Gold American Express Card.
This card earns 5X Scotia Rewards Points on grocery, restaurant, and entertainment purchases, 3X on gas, daily transit, and select streaming services, and 1X on all other purchases. Points can easily be redeemed for 1 cent in value towards travel.
Another big plus to the card is that it has no foreign transaction fees when making international purchases online and when traveling abroad. You'll only have to worry about the exchange rate which can save you a great deal of money.
Other benefits of the Scotiabank Gold American Express Card include Priority Pass membership, access to AMEX Offers, and great insurance coverage including trip cancellation and trip interruption insurance.
- No foreign transaction fees - You will not pay 2.5% foreign transaction fees on any foreign currency purchases, including online shopping and when travelling abroad. Only the exchange rate applies.
- Make every day more rewarding with Amex Offers. With offers for shopping, dining, travel, and more, there’s something for everyone.
- Cardmembers can purchase Front Of The Line® presale tickets to some of the most in-demand concerts, theatre productions, restaurants, and special events before the general public.
- Enjoy a variety of special offers and events created just for you through American Expres Invites.
- Book and redeem any flight for any time through Scotia Rewards Travel Service, a full-service travel agency. Plus, take advantage of the Best Price Guarantee on airfare.
- Whether you need help booking your restaurant reservations or scoring tickets for a show, our concierge service is happy to assist you 24/7.
- Be confident that you’ll have a place to relax or catch up on business. Enjoy a preferred discount on the Priority Pass™ membership and access over 1200 VIP lounges around the world as a Scotiabank Gold American Express® Cardholder.
- Shop and travel with 8 types of insurance coverage including trip cancellation and trip interruption insurance, flight delay insurance, travel emergency medical insurance, and rental car collision loss/damage insurance.
CIBC Dividend® Visa Infinite Card
The CIBC Dividend Visa Infinite Card is great if you're looking for card that covers both groceries and gas.
It earns 4% cash back on gas and grocery purchases, 2% back on transportation, dining, and recurring payments, and 1% back on everything else. Cash back earned with the card can easily be redeemed at anytime through CIBC Online and Mobile Banking.
The card offers up to 10 cents in savings per litre at Chevron, Ultramar and Pioneer gas stations, access to Visa Infinite perks, and valuable insurance coverage.
- Get your cash back anytime through CIBC Online and Mobile Banking®.
- Get valuable insurance coverage, including mobile device and emergency travel medical.
- Save up to 10 cents per litre at Chevron, Ultramar and Pioneer gas stations when you link your card with Journie Rewards.
- Access hotel benefits, unique dining events and 24-hour complimentary concierge services with the Visa Infinite® program.
- Minimum Income Requirements: $60,000 Individual / $100,000 Household
Best Cash Back Card For Groceries & Recurring Bills/Subscriptions
If you want to earn big on recurring bill payment and subscription services as well as on groceries, the Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite Card is the best option.
The card earns 4% back on grocery store purchases, recurring bill payments, and subscription purchases, 2% back on gas and daily transit purchases, and 1% back on everything else. Cash back can be redeemed towards purchases made towards the card as well as many options.
Benefits of the card include access to Visa Infinite perks, savings on Avis and Budget car rentals, and several types of insurance including Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption insurance, Flight Delay Insurance, and Rental Car Collision Loss/Damage Insurance.
- Take advantage of Visa Infinite Card benefits such as Visa Infinite Concierge Service, Visa Infinite Hotel Collection, and Visa Infinite Dining and Wine Country program.
- Save up to 25% off base rates at participating AVIS locations and at participating Budget locations in Canada and the U.S. when you pay with your Scotia Momentum® Visa Infinite* Card.
- Protect your mobile device when you use your card to pay for your new device.
- Includes 7 types of insurance including Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption Insurance, Travel Emergency Medical Insurance, Flight Delay Insurance, and Rental Car Collision Loss/Damage Insurance.
Best No-Fee Cash Back Card For Groceries
The best no-annual fee cash back credit card on the market for grocery purchases is going to be the Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card.
It earns 2% back on two select categories of your choice in which grocery is one of the options available. You can earn 2% back on a third select category of your choice if you opt to have your rewards deposited into your Tangerine Saving Account.
There's no limit on how much cash back you can earn spending across the card and you can change your 2% categories to fit your spend habits. Overall, the Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card is great to have if you're looking for easy cash back rewards for groceries and other categories.
- Earn an extra 15% back (up to $150) on up to $1,000 of your everyday purchases in the first 2 months with a Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card.
- Earn 2% Money-Back Rewards on purchases in two 2% Money-Back Categories of your choice, and 0.50% Money-Back Rewards on all other purchases.
- Have your Money-Back Rewards deposited into a Tangerine Savings Account, and get a 3rd 2% Money-Back Category.
- No limit on the amount of Money-Back Rewards you can earn.
- Change your 2% Money-Back Categories to suit your spending.
- Extended warranty and purchase protection.
- Income Requirement: $15,000/year Individual.
- Want the same great earnings at no annual fee, but with additional benefits? Check out the Tangerine World Mastercard®.
Best Card For Loblaw Companies
If you primarily show at stores that fall under Loblaw Companies, you'll earn a fantastic rate of return using the PC Financial World Elite Mastercard.
It earns 30X points spent with all 17 Loblaw Companies which includes brands like Loblaws, valu-mart, Shoppers Drug Mart, and Dominion, 30X on PC Travel purchases, 30X points per litre at Esso and Mobil, and 10X everywhere else.
Points can be redeemed towards grocery and drug stores that fall under the Loblaw Company brands at a rate of 10,000 points for a $10 credit.
- Earn at least 30 points per litre at Esso and Mobil.
- Stack your points by linking your PC Optimum™ card and PC Financial® Mastercard®.
- Earn up to 45 points per $1 at Shoppers Drug Mart when you use your card to earn 30X on top of the 15X you already receive as a member.
- Earn PC Optimum™ points across many locations and redeem in our grocery and drug stores.
- No annual fee.
- Minimum Income Requirements: $80,000 Individual or $150,000 Household
Best Credit Cards For Groceries Summary
|Credit Card||Annual Fee||Best For||Learn More|
|American Express Cobalt™ Card||$12.99 per month||Best Overall Card For Groceries||Learn More|
|Scotiabank Gold American Express® Card||$120||Best Travel Rewards Card For Groceries & Entertainment||Learn More|
|CIBC Dividend® Visa Infinite Card||$120 (first year rebated)||Best Cash Back Card For Groceries & Gas||Learn More|
|Scotia Momentum® Visa Infinite Card||$120 (First-year annual fee waived)||Best Cash Back Card For Groceries & Recurring Bills/Subscriptions||Learn More|
|Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card||$0||Best No-Fee Cash Back Card For Groceries||Learn More|
|PC Financial World Elite Mastercard®||$0||Best Card For Loblaw Companies||Learn More|
Best Credit Cards By Spend Calculator
The Best Credit Cards By Spend Calculator will give you an idea of which credit cards will offer you the most rewards and best return based on your spend.
Results will be sorted by net return. This is calculated by taking the average value of the rewards earned adding the average value of card benefits and subtracting any annual fees the card has.
Results will consist of top-rated credit cards in the market.
The results below are estimates on how much you can earn based on the spend you entered in the fields above.
Rewards Calculator - Learn more about the card, dive deeper into calculating rewards, and compare the results side by side other cards featured on the site.
View Website / Learn More - Learn more about the card and apply through the card issuer's secure website.
***Card benefits can change at anytime and those changes may not be reflected immediately on this website. Be sure to check the issuer's website for the most up to date information before applying.