Delta offers seven credit cards that can earn you SkyMiles on everyday purchases and grant fantastic benefits. You can also quickly earn Delta SkyMiles by using credit cards offered by Delta's transfer partners.
Review our picks for best credit cards for earning Delta SkyMiles and calculate which cards can earn you the most miles and best return based on your spend.
Best Credit Cards For Delta SkyMiles
Delta offers seven credit cards that can earn you SkyMiles on your purchases and grant you additional benefits with the airline. Due to the great benefits Delta's credit cards offer, I highly suggest having at least one of them for this reason alone.
On the other hand, if you're truly looking to earn the most Delta SkyMiles, you'll want to consider picking up credit cards offered by Delta's transfer partners, specifically the American Express Membership Rewards program.
Membership Rewards Points can be transferred to Delta at a 1:1 ratio. This means that transferring 1,000 Membership Rewards Points directly to your SkyMiles account will give you 1,000 Delta SkyMiles.
With AMEX Membership Rewards credit cards offering multipliers as high as 5X as well as fantastic welcome bonuses, you can easily rake up tens of thousands of SkyMiles using their cards.
Not only that, but most of their credit cards feature other great benefits which can be a plus if you enjoy traveling. This includes benefits such as dining credits and travel insurance.
This page details our top picks for the best credit cards for earning Delta SkyMiles. You can use the calculator to estimate which credit cards can earn you the most miles and best average return on your spend.
The cards on this page are updated periodically. New cards are introduced from time to time and the benefits of current cards could change at any time. You can use our Credit Card Finder Tool to search by spend across all credit cards in our database.
Best For Restaurants & Big Supermarket Spenders
The American Express® Gold Card is one of the best travel credit cards for earning rewards.
The card earns 4X Membership Rewards Points dining at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets, 3X on airfare purchased directly from an airline or through American Express Travel, and 1X on all other purchases. These points can be transferred directly to your Delta SkyMiles account at a 1:1 ratio.
In terms of benefits, the American Express® Gold Card offers up to $120 in annual dining credit and up to $120 in annual Uber credit. That's up to $240 in annual credits which pretty much takes care of the annual fee in terms of value.
Overall, if you spend heavy in restaurant and U.S. supermarket purchases and you want to maximize your Delta SkyMiles, you'll want to have the American Express® Gold Card in your wallet.
- Rose Gold is here to stay. Card members can choose between a Gold or Rose Gold Card.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, including takeout and delivery, and earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Uber Cash on Gold: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Best For Travel & Dining
The American Express® Green Card is a great option if you're looking to earn rewards transferable to Delta when spending on travel and dining.
The card earns 3X Membership Rewards Points on travel, transit, and restaurant purchases. That makes this card an excellent option to take along on vacation as you'll easily rake up points.
Benefits of the American Express® Green Card include an annual $100 credit towards CLEAR and an annual $100 credit towards LoungeBuddy.
Delta SkyMiles members already receive a heavy discount on CLEAR membership so when you add the AMEX Green Card into the mix, you can get CLEAR membership for only $19 per year which is fantastic considering it normally costs $179 per year.
- $100 CLEAR Credit to Help You Breeze Through Security - With CLEAR®, your eyes and fingertips can help you get through security faster at select airports and stadiums nationwide.
- $100 Credit for Lounge Access - Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy and receive up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year.
- No foreign transaction fees
Best For Airfare & Lounge Access
The Platinum Card® from American Express is a luxury travel credit card that is packed to the brim with excellent benefits that can easily offer more than $1,000 in value if you travel often.
In terms of points, this card offers 5X Membership Rewards Points on flights booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel, and 5X points on hotels booked with American Express Travel.
No Delta credit card can earn you the equivalent of 5X SkyMiles on airfare, so this is great if you often pay for Delta flights.
The most well known benefit of this card is that it grants you access to the American Express Global Lounge Collection which grants access to American Express Centurion Lounges, Priority Pass Lounges, Airspace Lounges, Escape Lounges, and best of all... Delta SkyClub Lounges (when flying Delta).
The Platinum Card will allow you and an additional guest or immediate family entry into Delta SkyClub Lounges as long as you have a same-day Delta flight when visiting. These lounges offer complimentary food, beverage (alcoholic and non), internet, and much more.
The card also comes with a long (and I mean long) list of additional benefits including complimentary status with Marriott and Hilton, $200 in annual credits for Uber, $100 in annual credits for Saks Fifth, $200 in airline incidental credits, a Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credit, and so much more.
Also, authorized users with Platinum Cards also get to experience the majority of the benefits offered on the card. This includes their own lounge access, own complimentary elite status, own Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credit, and more.
As a cardholder, I highly recommend The Platinum Card as it pays for itself every year through the benefits alone.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Best For Small Business & Miscellaneous Spending
The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express is the best credit card for small businesses looking to earn rewards on business spend. It's also the best option for miscellaneous purchases.
The card earns 2X Membership Rewards Points on the first $50,000 in purchases made during the calendar year (then 1X).
Since these points can be transferred to Delta at a 1:1 ratio, you're looking at the equivalent of 2X SkyMiles which is better than the 1X you'll earn on miscellaneous spend using Delta's own credit cards.
The Blue Business Plus Credit Card pairs well with just about any Membership Rewards credit card, personal or business. If you're looking to maximize your earnings, this is a card worth picking up.
- Earn 15,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $3,000 in eligible purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 2X Membership Rewards® points on everyday business purchases such as office supplies or client dinners. 2X applies to the first $50,000 in purchases per year, 1 point per dollar thereafter.
- You've got the power to use your Card beyond its credit limit* with Expanded Buying Power.
- *The amount you can spend above your credit limit is not unlimited. It adjusts with your use of the Card, your payment history, credit record, financial resources known to American Express, and other factors.
- 0.0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable rate, 13.24% - 19.24%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors at account opening.
- No Annual Fee
- Terms Apply.
Best For Saving On Checked Bags
If you normally have to pay for checked bags when flying Delta, you'll want to consider picking up The Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card.
As long as the card is attached to your Delta SkyMiles account, you and up to 8 companions traveling on the same reservation as you will receive the first checked bag free. You don't even have to use the card to pay for your flight.
Checked bags with Delta will cost you $25 to $30 per direction, per person. I saved me and my family $650 on checked bag fees the first year I had the card. That's why I believe this card is always worth mentioning in any top credit card list for Delta.
The earnings for the card aren't the best. It earns 2X SkyMiles on Delta and restaurant purchases made worldwide and 1X on all other purchases. Again, you don't have to use the card to get the checked bag perk, so you can use another card to maximize the earnings on your flight.
- Earn 40,000 Bonus Miles after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- $100 Delta Flight Credit: After you spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year, receive a Credit to use toward future travel.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory Annual Fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
Best Overall Value For Delta Travelers
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card earns a decent amount of SkyMiles on spend, but it's listed here because of the value of the benefits it offers.
The most known benefit of the card is the annual Main Cabin Companion Pass the card offers. This pass allows you to bring one companion along on a domestic flight in Main Cabin for just the cost of taxes and fees. This benefit along can be worth a few hundred dollars
The card is also a great option if you're in need of help obtaining Delta Medallion Status. The card offers additional Medallion Qualifying Miles (MQMs) as well as a wavier for the Medallion Qualification Dollars requirement when you run heavy spend through the card during the calendar year.
In terms of rewards, you'll earn 3X SkyMiles on Delta purchases and when booking directly with a hotel, 2X SkyMiles at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets and 1X SkyMiles on all other purchases. Overall, these are pretty solid earning rates. And again, you don't need to use the card. It just has to be attached to your Delta SkyMiles profile.
It's worth adding that this card also offers the first checked bag free benefit which adds even more value to this card if you and those traveling with you normally have to pay for bags.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
Best Credit Cards For Delta SkyMiles Summary
|Credit Card||Best For||Annual Fee||See All Available Offers|
|American Express® Gold Card||Best For Restaurants & Big Supermarket Spenders||$250||Learn More|
|American Express® Green Card||Best For Travel & Dining||$150||Learn More|
|The Platinum Card® from American Express||Best For Airfare & Lounge Access||$695||Learn More|
|The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express||Best For Small Business & Miscellaneous Spending||$0||Learn More|
|Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card||Best For Saving On Checked Bags||$0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99||Learn More|
|Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card||Best Overall Value For Delta Travelers||$250||Learn More|
Best Credit Cards For Delta SkyMiles Calculator
The Best Credit Cards For Delta SkyMiles Calculator will give you an idea of which credit cards will offer earn you the most Delta SkyMiles based on your spend.
Results will be sorted by net return which is the average value of the rewards earned, plus annual credits, and minus annual fees. You'll want to take into consideration the benefits a card offers as well on top of the estimated value calculated.
Results will consist of top-rated credit cards that either earn Delta SkyMiles directly or earn rewards that can be transferred directly to the Delta SkyMiles program.
The results listed below consist of co-branded credit cards and credit cards that allow you to transfer rewards to the program covered on this page. The earning amounts listed for transfer partner credit cards are based on the transfer ratio.
Rewards Calculator - Learn more about the card(s), dive deeper into calculating rewards, and compare results side by side other cards featured on the site.
See All Available Offers - Apply for cards through our partner and get the up-to-date details on rates & fees, intro bonuses, credit score recommendations, and more.