The Flying Blue program is a direct transfer partner of all major rewards programs which means you can easily earn lots of Flying Blue Miles through intro bonuses and everyday spending.
Review our picks for best credit cards for earning Flying Blue Miles and calculate which cards can earn you the most miles and best return based on your spend.
Best Credit Cards For Flying Blue Miles
The Air France-KLM offers one credit card to U.S.-based members that earns Flying Blue Miles on spend and grants several benefits with the program. The card is a solid option for earning some bonus XP in the Flying Blue program, but doesn't earn much in terms of Flying Blue Miles.
If you're really trying to maximize your earnings with the Flying Blue program, you'll want to use credit cards offered by transfer partners. Since all of the major U.S. bank rewards programs are direct transfer partners of the Flying Blue program, it's very easy to rake in lots of Flying Blue Miles.
This page details our top picks for the best credit cards for earning Flying Blue Miles. You can use the calculator to estimate which credit cards can earn you the most miles and best average return on your spend.
The cards on this page are updated periodically. New cards are introduced from time to time and the benefits of current cards could change at any time. You can use our Credit Card Finder Tool to search by spend across all credit cards in our database.
Best Card Overall For Etihad
The Citi Premier® Card is the best credit card to have if you're looking to earn a steady stream of rewards transferable to your Flying Blue account.
It earns 3X ThankYou Rewards Points on restaurant, supermarket, gas station, air travel, and hotel purchases and 1X points on all other purchases. These points can be transferred directly to Flying Blue at a rate of 1:1.
Along with those great earning rates, the Citi Premier Card also offers a $100 statement credit when you spend $500 or more on a hotel booking through the thankyou.com rewards portal.
- Annual $100 Hotel Savings Benefit
- No expiration and no limit to the amount of points you can earn with this card
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases
Best For Airfare & Lounge Access
The Platinum Card® from American Express is a luxury card that is at the top of the list when it comes to elite travel benefits.
The best and most known benefit of the card is access to the American Express Global Lounge Collection which grants entry to Centurion Lounges, Priority Pass Lounges, Delta SkyClub Lounges (when flying Delta), Airspace Lounges, and Escape Lounges.
With Air France being part of the SkyTeam alliance, you may find yourself flying on Delta metal more often than not, especially in the United States. You can use The Platinum Card to get you and your guests into Delta SkyClubs before and between flights which is fantastic.
Other benefits of the card include up to $1,400 in credits, complimentary elite status with Marriott & Hilton, and 5X earnings on both airfare purchased directly with an airline and on airfare and prepaid hotels booked through amextravel.com. Points can be transferred to Flying Blue at a 1:1 ratio.
Another big plus to The Platinum Card is that additional Platinum Card users also have access to the majority of the perks offered on the card.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- New! American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Best For Restaurants & Big Supermarket Spenders
The American Express® Gold Card is one of the best credit cards when it comes to earning valuable rewards.
The card earns 4X Membership Rewards Points at restaurants and on U.S. supermarket spend, 3X on airfare booked directly with an airline, and 1X on all other purchases. Points earned with the card can be transferred directly to Flying Blue at a rate of 1:1.
The American Express Gold Card comes with up to $120 in annual Uber Cash and up to $120 in annual dining credit. Both of these credits are split up into $10 per month.
- Rose Gold is back. You can now choose between Gold or Rose Gold.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, including takeout and delivery, and earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Uber Cash on Gold: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- Get up to 12 complimentary months of an Uber Eats Pass subscription when you enroll with your Gold Card by 12/31/21.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Best For Flat-Rate Earnings On Business Spend
If you're looking to earn a flat rate of rewards across all purchases, The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express is going to be your choice.
The card earns 2X Membership Rewards Points on the first $50,000 in purchases per calendar year, then 1% for the remainder of the calendar year. Points can be transferred directly to Flying Blue at a 1:1 ratio.
If you're building a combination of Membership Rewards credit cards, The Blue Business Plus Credit Card is a must have regardless of whether you're looking to maximize your personal spend or you're a small business looking to earn useful travel rewards.
- Earn 15,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $3,000 in eligible purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 2X Membership Rewards® points on everyday business purchases such as office supplies or client dinners. 2X applies to the first $50,000 in purchases per year, 1 point per dollar thereafter.
- You've got the power to use your Card beyond its credit limit* with Expanded Buying Power.
- *The amount you can spend above your credit limit is not unlimited. It adjusts with your use of the Card, your payment history, credit record, financial resources known to American Express, and other factors.
- 0.0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable rate, 13.24% - 19.24%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors at account opening.
- No Annual Fee
- Terms Apply.
Best For Flexible Rewards
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® is a great fit if you're looking for flexible rewards that can be transferred to Flying Blue, but also want the flexible to redeem points for higher value towards other travel.
It earns 5X points on travel purchases through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3X on online grocery purchases, select streaming services, and dining purchases, 2X on other travel purchases, and 1X on everything else. Points can be transferred to Flying Blue at a rate of 1:1.
In addition to transferring points to Flying Blue and several other airline and hotel partners, you can also redeem your points for 1.25 cents in value towards travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards® which includes airfare, hotels, car rentals, and more.
The card also offers an annual $50 hotel credit that can be used on hotel bookings made through Chase Ultimate Rewards and superb travel insurance.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
Best Overall Value For Most Travelers
If you're looking for a fantastic return on your spend as well as several great travel benefits, the Chase Sapphire Reserve® is at the top of the list.
The card earns 10X Ultimate Rewards Points on Chase Dining purchases and both hotel and car rental purchases through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 5X on airline travel purchases through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3X on dining and other travel purchases, and 1X on everything else. Points can be transferred directly to Flying Blue at a 1:1 ratio.
As a cardholder, you'll be able to redeem Ultimate Rewards Points for 1.5 cents each towards travel booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. This is superb value and a great alternative if you can't find good redemption value transferring to Flying Blue.
Other benefits of the Chase Sapphire Reserve include up to $300 in annual travel credit, Priority Pass Select membership, up to $100 towards a Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee, and top-notch travel insurance.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $900 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year. Through December 31, 2021, gas station & grocery store purchases will also count towards earning your Travel Credit
- Earn 5X total points on air travel and 10X total points on hotels and car rentals when you purchase travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards® immediately after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually. Earn 3X points on other travel and dining & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $900 toward travel
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 50% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,300+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select and up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more
Best Credit Cards For Flying Blue Miles Summary
|Credit Card||Annual Fee||Best For||Rewards Calculator|
|Citi Premier® Card||$95||Best Overall For Earning Flying Blue Miles||Learn More|
|The Platinum Card from American Express||$695||Best For Airfare & Lounge Access||Learn More|
|American Express® Gold Card||$250||Best For Restaurants & Big Supermarket Spenders||Learn More|
|The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express||$0||Flat-Rate Earnings On Business Spend||Learn More|
|Chase Sapphire Preferred®||$95||Best For Flexible Rewards||Learn More|
|Chase Sapphire Reserve®||$550||Best Overall Value For Most Travelers||Learn More|
Best Credit Cards For Flying Blue Miles Calculator
The Best Credit Cards For Flying Blue Miles Calculator will give you an idea of which credit cards will earn you the most Flying Blue Miles based on your spend.
Results will be sorted by net return which is the average value of the rewards earned, plus annual credits, and minus annual fees. You'll want to take into consideration the benefits a card offers as well on top of the estimated value calculated.
Results will consist of top-rated credit cards that either earn Flying Blue Miles directly or earn rewards that can be transferred directly to the Flying Blue program.
The results listed below consist of co-branded credit cards and credit cards that allow you to transfer rewards to the program covered on this page. The earning amounts listed for transfer partner credit cards are based on the transfer ratio.
Rewards Calculator - Learn more about the card(s), dive deeper into calculating rewards, and compare results side by side other cards featured on the site.
See All Available Offers - Apply for cards through our partner and get the up-to-date details on rates & fees, intro bonuses, credit score recommendations, and more.