The American Express® Business Gold Card earns 4 Membership Rewards Points per $1 spent on the two categories your business spends the most in every month. The card automatically adjusts every month which means you'll always get the highest return when spending on the card. In addition to great earning rates, it also offers a 25% rebate on airfare redemptions through the American Express Travel Portal. This puts Membership Rewards Points back into your business to use for another day. If you're looking to earn rewards towards travel, the American Express Business Gold Card is one of the best business credit cards on the market.
|Authorized User Fee|
|Foreign Transaction Fee|
|Rates & Fees||See Rates & Fees|
Rewards Rate Details
The American Express Business Gold Card offers a total of six possible bonus categories that can earn you bonus points. Those categories are airfare, U.S. advertisement, U.S. gas station, U.S. shipping, U.S. restaurant, and U.S. computer hardware, software, or cloud computing. The two categories you spend the most in during the month out of that list will earn at the 4X rate automatically. All of the other categories will earn at the non-category rate of 1X along with purchases that aren't part of those six categories.
The 4X multiplier on the American Express Business Gold Card is only up to the first $150,000 in spend during the calendar year. Once you've hit that cap, you'll earn at the non-category rate of 1X for the remainder of the calendar year across all categories. There's no limit to the amount of points you can earn with the card overall.
- 4x Two Highest Spend Categories Per Month
- Must be booked directly with airline; No 3rd party bookings (e.g. Orbitz/Expedia).
- U.S. Gas Station
- U.S. Shipping
- U.S. Advertisements
- U.S. Restaurants/Dining
- U.S. Computer Hard/Software or Cloud Computing
- Specific to purchases with the following companies:
- Sage Software
- Tiger Direct
- Specific to purchases with the following companies:
- 1x Non-Category
- You'll earn 1x on non-category and the 4 categories that do not have the highest spend during the month.
Perks & Benefits
The American Express Business Gold Card features one main benefit and that's the 25% airfare rebate when redeeming points towards airfare on the American Express Travel Portal. Outside of that, the card offers the standard American Express business credit card benefits.
- 25% Airline Bonus (Rebate)
- Only for airfare redemptions through the AMEX Travel Portal.
- Points are issued back in the form of a rebate about 1-month after purchase.
- You must have enough points in your account to pay for the normal price of airfare.
- Bumps up the value of AMEX Points to around 1.3 cents each when you factor in the points credited back to your account.
- Pay Over Time Option
- No Preset Spending Limit (NPSL)
- No Preset Spending Limit means your spending limit is flexible. Unlike a traditional card with a set limit, the amount you can spend adapts based on factors such as your purchase, payment, and credit history.
- Expense Management Tools
- Vendor Pay by Bill.com, employee cards, account manager, and more.
- The Hotel Collection
- $100 hotel credit to spend on qualifying dining, spa, and resort activities per booking.
- Room upgrade upon arrival, when available.
- AMEX Offers*
- AMEX Entertainment Access
- Insurance and Purchase Protections
You can use the rewards calculator to calculate how many points, miles, or cash back you can earn based on your spend per category. This calculator will also give you the dollar value of the card based on the value of the rewards earned and how much each benefit is worth to you, minus the annual fees. You can click the Compare A Card button to compare this card side by side any other card featured on the site within the same calculator.
All category spend entered in the primary card's column (first column when comparing cards) will carry over to all credit card calculators on the site. This means you will not have to re-enter the same information again and again when browsing during the session.
- Airline Bonus: Get 25% points back after you use points for all or part of an eligible flight booked with Amex Travel, up to 250,000 points back per calendar year.
- Earn up to $300 in statement credits on eligible U.S. advertising and U.S. shipping purchases.
- Pay Over Time Option: A flexible payment option with interest to help manage cash flow on purchases of $100 or more.
- Terms Apply.
Is the American Express Business Gold Card worth it?
Yes. The American Express Business Gold Card is one of the best business credit cards on the market. If you're looking to earn travel rewards points for your business, this card is well worth picking up.
What bonus categories are on the American Express Business Gold Card?
The card earns 4X Membership Rewards Points on the two categories you spend the most in every month out of airfare, U.S. gas station, U.S. shipping, U.S. advertisements, U.S. restaurants, and U.S. computer hardware, software, or cloud computing. The other categories will earn at the rate of 1X.
What benefits does the American Express Business Gold Card offer?
The main benefit of the card is the 25% point rebate it offers when using Membership Rewards Points on airfare in the American Express Travel Portal. This saves you points and thus bumps up the value of Membership Rewards Points overall when redeeming them for airfare.