Best Credit Cards For Grocery
Are you looking for the best credit cards for grocery purchases? Look no further! The Point Calculator has put together a list of the top offers so you can maximize your rewards and earn points, miles, or cash back when you buy groceries.
Here are our top credit card picks for earning rewards on grocery purchases:
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express: Best for earning high cash back.
- Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card: Best for heavy grocery spend.
- American Express® Gold Card: Best for earning travel rewards on U.S. supermarket purchases.
- Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express: Best no annual fee card for supermarket, gas, and online retail.
- Citi Custom Cash℠ Card: Best for automatically maximizing cash back.
- Citi Premier® Card: Best for everyday spending and travel.
- Earning Rate: Earn 6% cash back on up to $6,000 in U.S. supermarket purchases (then 1%), 6% back on U.S. streaming services, 3% back on transit and U.S. gas station purchases, and 1% back on all other purchases.
- Main Highlights: The high return on U.S. supermarket purchases.
- Intro Bonus: Earn a $250 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Annual Fee: $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95. (See Rates and Fees)
- Summary: This is hands-down the best credit card for grocery purchases if you spend between $500 and $1,000 per month at U.S. supermarkets. The solid uncapped earning rates for transit and U.S. gas station categories is just the cherry on top.
- Pairing Tip: I highly recommend pairing this with the American Express Cash Magnet® Card so that you can earn 1.5% cash back on all other purchases instead of the 1% offered on this card.
- Earning Rate: Earn 5% back on Capital One Travel purchases, 3% cash back on dining, entertainment, popular streaming service, and at grocery stores, and 1% back on everything else.
- Main Highlights: No foreign transaction fee and uncapped categories.
- Intro Bonus: Earn a one-time $200 cash bonus after you spend $500 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
- Annual Fee: $0.
- Summary: If you spend heavy across the categories of grocery, dining, and entertainment (we're talking $1,000+ combined per month), this is the card you'll want in your wallet. Uncapped earnings and no annual fee makes this almost impossible to beat.
- Pairing Tip: Pair this card with the Capital One Quicksilver Rewards Credit Card for a solid two-card cash back combo. If you want the ability to convert your cash back to travel rewards, pair it with the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card or Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card.
- Earning Rate: Earn 4X Membership Rewards points on restaurant purchases worldwide, 4X at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 per year, then 1X), 3X points on airfare purchased direct or through American Express Travel, and 1X points on all other purchases.
- Annual Credits: Up to $120 in annual dining credit ($10 per month) and up to $120 in annual Uber Cash ($10 per month).
- Main Highlights: Book hotels through The Hotel Collection with American Express Travel and receive a $100 hotel credit and room upgrade upon arrival (when available) when booking at least a two consecutive night stay.
- Intro Bonus: Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Annual Fee: $250. (See Rates and Fees)
- Summary: This is the leading card for earning highly valuable and highly flexible travel rewards on U.S. supermarket purchases as well as on restaurant purchases worldwide. If you want to earn rewards that you can put towards airfare and hotels, the AMEX Gold is at the top of the list.
- Earning Rate: Earn 3% cash back on up to $6,000 in U.S. supermarket purchases per year (then 1%), 3% back on up to $6,000 in U.S. online retail purchases per year (then 1%), and 3% back on up to $6,000 in U.S. gas station purchases per year (then 1%). All other purchases on the card earn 1% back.
- Main Highlights: The solid 3% earning rates at no annual fee.
- Intro Bonus: Earn a $200 statement credit after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Annual Fee: $0. (See Rates and Fees)
- Summary: It's hard to beat earning 3% back across these categories at no annual fee. If you spend around $500 per month in each of these categories, you'll net yourself about $540 in annual cash back which is fantastic for a card with no annual fee.
- Pairing Tip: Pair this card with the American Express Cash Magnet Card to earn 1.5% cash back on all other purchases.
Citi Custom Cash℠ Card
- Earning Rate: Earn 5% back on purchases in your top eligible spend category each billing cycle on up to the first $500 spent (then 1%). 1% back on all other purchases.
- Main Highlights: High earning rate at no annual fee.
- Annual Fee: $0
- Summary: Fantastic choice for earning 5% back on one select eligible category (in which grocery is one of them). Easily rake in $300 in annual cash back if you can hit the $500 spend cap each statement.
- Pairing Tip: Pair this with the Citi Premier Card to increase the value of your rewards towards travel or with the Citi® Double Cash Card to earn 2% back on all purchases you don't use the Custom Cash for.
Citi Premier® Card
- Earning Rate: Earn an unlimited 3X points on restaurant, supermarket, gas station, air travel, and hotel purchases and 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Annual Credits: $100 hotel credit when you book a $500+ hotel stay through thankyou.com.
- Main Highlights: Grants the ability to transfer ThankYou Rewards points to Citi's full list of airline and hotel partners.
- Annual Fee: $95.
- Summary: If you want to earn uncapped travel rewards at a superb rate across everyday categories (grocery included), the Citi Premier is the card for you. In my opinion, this is one of the best travel cards if you're looking to experience 5-star airlines when traveling internationally (it's also the best card for JetBlue domestically).
- Pairing Tip: Pair it with the Citi® Double Cash Card for 2X back (1% on purchases and 1% when you pay off those purchases) and/or the Citi Custom Cash℠ Card to earn 5X on one eligible category.
Grocery Rewards Calculator
Input your monthly and yearly spend amounts for grocery to find out which credit cards will earn you the most rewards. You can also add additional categories to the calculator if you wish.
Results will be sorted by net return. This is calculated by taking the average value of the rewards earned adding the average value of card benefits and subtracting any annual fees the card has.
Results will consist of credit cards from our partners as well as other top-rated credit cards in the market.
No Results. This is usually due to:
- There's no good card options based on the spend entered.
- The calculator is having a brain-fart and is not calculating rewards properly.
Enter different values or try again later.
These estimates are to help guide you towards making the best decision when it comes to picking up a rewards credit card. They should be used for illustrative purposes only.