The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card and the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card are two of the best travel credit cards in the market.
When it comes to deciding which card it best, it will depend on the type of spend you plan on running through these cards and how much you value the rewards earned with them. Once you figure this out, you'll be able to easily calculate which card is the best travel rewards card for you.
Current Intro Bonus
Earn 75,000 bonus miles when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening, equal to $750 in travel.
Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
Key Cardholder Benefits
- Earn unlimited 2X miles on every purchase, every day
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- Receive up to a $100 credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck®
- Enjoy two complimentary lounge visits per year to Capital One Lounges or to 100+ Plaza Premium Lounges through our Partner Lounge Network
- Receive a 25% boost to point value when you redeem your points through Chase Ultimate Rewards (1.25 cents per point).
- Receive a $50 hotel credit every cardmember anniversary that can be used towards hotel stays booked through the Chase Ultimate Rewards Travel portal.
- Every cardmember anniversary you'll receive 10% bonus points based on how much you spent on the card the prior cardmember year. This bonus does not include the category bonus multipliers.
|Redemption Option||Mile Value (in cents)|
|Transfers To Capital One Partners||0.6 - 2+|
|Travel Purchases via Capital One Travel||1|
|Statement credits towards travel purchases||1|
|Gift Cards||0.5 - 1|
Venture Miles are worth 1 cent each when redeemed towards travel. You can obtain higher values by transferring points to Capital One's airline and hotel partners.
|Redemption Option||Average Value (in cents)|
|Point transfers to airline and hotel partners||0.6 - 2.1+|
|Booking travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards using the Chase Sapphire Preferred||1.25|
|Pay Yourself Back using the Chase Sapphire Preferred||1.25|
|Redeeming points for cash back||1|
|Redeeming points for gift cards||1|
|Using points for Amazon.com purchases||0.8|
Ultimate Rewards points earned with the Chase Sapphire Preferred card can be redeemed for 1.25 cents towards travel booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards. Points can also be transferred to Chase's airline and hotel partners to obtain higher value.
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card has a $95 annual fee. If you're transferring miles to partners and use the card as a daily driver (as in for most purchases), it will not take long to offset the annual fee.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred Card has an annual fee of $95 which is a steal. The bonus points you receive annually, the $50 hotel credit, and the boost to point value via Chase Ultimate Rewards will offer great value even if you only spend on this card moderately throughout the year.
Card Value Calculator
Calculate how many Venture Miles you can earn with the Venture Card and how many Ultimate Rewards Points you can earn with the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Compare the cash value of both cards side by side and find out which card earns you the most rewards.
We've run the calculations for you and here are our top picks for best credit cards of 2023:
- Best premium card for unlimited miles: Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card.
- Best for flexible travel rewards: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card.
- Best for everyday spend and travel: Citi Premier® Card.
- Best cash back card for groceries: Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express.
- Best for dining and supermarkets: American Express® Gold Card
- Best for business travel rewards: Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card.
- Best cash back business card: Capital One Spark Cash Plus
Our Credit Card Rewards calculator can help you find the perfect card and offers based on your monthly and yearly spending habits. Simply enter your spend amounts into our tool and let us do the work for you!