When it comes down to it, the Chase Sapphire Reserve offers exceptional value on your spending while providing a list of great, top-notch travel benefits. The Platinum Card doesn't offer as much value on your spend but offers a very long (and I mean very long) list of elite travel benefits that can easily offer thousands in value.
If you're trying to decide between the two, it's going to come down to how much you value the benefits offered on the Chase Sapphire Reserve vs The Platinum Card. Depending on your needs, it is also very possible to end up with both cards if you're looking for a good mix of both rewards and great benefits.
Current Intro Bonus
Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $900 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
Earn 80,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
Key Cardholder Benefits
- Receive up to $300 in statement credits as reimbursements for travel purchases charged to your Chase Sapphire Reserve card each account anniversary year. You will not earn points on travel purchases until you have used the full $300 credit.
- Receive a statement credit of up to $100 every 4 years as reimbursement for the Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, or NEXUS application fee charged to your Chase Sapphire Reserve.
- Receive complimentary Priority Pass Select membership which grants access to over 1,000 VIP lounges worldwide so you can rest before your flight.
- Enjoy special benefits such as complimentary room upgrades, early check-in, late check-out, and more when you book your stays at top hotels and resorts worldwide through The Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection.
- Receive a 50% boost to point value when you redeem your points through Chase Ultimate Rewards (1.5 cents per point).
- Use Pay Yourself Back℠ for 50% more in point value during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass – a membership for both DoorDash and Caviar – which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees on eligible orders for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024. With DashPass you also get $5 in DoorDash credits each month, redeemed at checkout.
- Be protected with travel insurance including Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- You will pay no foreign transaction fees when you use your card for purchases made outside the United States.
- $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 back each month on eligible purchases made with your Platinum Card® on one or more of the following: Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax. Plus Ups are excluded.
- You and all authorized users with a Platinum card will have access to 1,300+ airport lounges in over 500 airports around the world and 140 countries. This includes Centurion Lounges, Delta SkyClub Lounges (when flying Delta), Airspace Lounges, Escape Lounges, and Priority Pass Lounges. Enrollment Required
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on the Equinox+ digital fitness app, or eligible Equinox club memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $189 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $189 back per year on your CLEAR® membership. CLEAR® is available at select airports and stadiums.
- Get up to $100 in Saks Fifth statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue or saks.com using the Platinum Card. Enrollment required.
- Statement credit towards a Global Entry ($100) or TSA PreCheck ($85) application.
- You'll be able to upgrade to Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status without meeting any stay requirements. Enrollment required.
- You'll be able to upgrade to Hilton Honors Gold Status without meeting any stay requirements. Enrollment required.
- Book through Fine Hotels + Resorts with American Express Travel. When booking an eligible stay, you will receive a room upgrade upon arrival (when available), daily breakfast for two people, guaranteed 4pm late checkout, noon check-in (when available), complimentary Wi-Fi, and an experience credit valued at US$100.
- Book through The Hotel Collection with American Express Travel. When booking at least a two consecutive night stay you will receive a $100 hotel credit and room upgrade upon arrival (when available).
|Redemption Option||Average Value (in cents)|
|Point transfers to airline and hotel partners||0.6 - 2.1|
|Booking travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards using the Chase Sapphire Reserve||1.5|
|Pay Yourself Back using the Chase Sapphire Reserve||1.5|
|Redeeming points for cash back||1|
|Redeeming points for gift cards||1|
|Using points for Amazon.com purchases||0.8|
Ultimate Rewards points earned with the Chase Sapphire Reserve can be redeemed for a value of 1.5 cents each towards travel booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards. You can also obtain higher values transferring points to Chase's airline and hotel partners.
|Redemption Option||Average Value (in cents)|
|Point transfers to airline and hotel partners||0.6 - 2|
|Booking flights through American Express Travel||1|
|Booking hotels through Fine Hotels & Resorts||1|
|Booking other travel through American Express Travel||0.7|
|Paying with points at checkout||0.7|
|Using points for card charges (statement credit)||0.6|
|Redeeming points for gift cards||0.5 - 1|
Membership Rewards points are worth an easy 1 cent each when redeemed for airfare through American Express Travel. As a Platinum cardholder, you'll have access to Fine Hotels & Resorts in which you can redeem points at a value of 1 cent each towards pre-paid hotel bookings.
You can obtain higher value by transferring points to AMEX's airline and hotel partners, which are the same across all three cards.
The Chase Sapphire Reserve has an annual fee of $550. Additional users can be added for an annual fee of $75 per additional card.
You can offset a big chunk of the annual fee with the $300 in annual statement credits. If you spend moderately on the card and make use of the lounge access, it won't take long to make up for the annual fee especially with points being worth a minimum of 1.5 cents each towards travel.
The Platinum Card has an annual fee of $695. The first three additional cardholders will cost you a total of $175 per year and an additional cardholder after the first three will cost you an annual fee of $175 per cardholder.
The Platinum Card has one of the highest annual fees in the market, but it offers over $1,400 in annual credits along with global lounge access, complimentary elite status with leading programs, and much more. If you travel and can make use of most of the card's benefits, you'll easily come out ahead every year.
Card Value Calculator
Calculate how many Ultimate Rewards Points you can earn with the Chase Sapphire Reserve versus how many Membership Rewards Points you can earn with The Platinum Card. Compare the cash value of both cards side by side and find out which card earns you the most rewards and best return.