Eligible 4X categories are: airfare, U.S. gas station, U.S. shipping, U.S. advertisements, U.S. restaurants, and U.S. computer hardware, software, or cloud computing.
Current Intro Bonus
Earn 70,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Gold Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
Key Cardholder Benefits
- Get 25% points back after you use points for all or part of an eligible flight booked with Amex Travel, up to 250,000 points back per calendar year. These bonus points are issued back in the form of a rebate usually about 1 month after redemption.
- The American Express Business Gold Card offers the ability to carry a balance with interest that you can pay over time. Your account will be given a Pay Over Time Limit in which you can add eligible purchases to.
- The American Express Business Gold Card has no preset spending limit. This means your spending limit is flexible and will adapt based on factors such as your purchase, payment, and credit history.
- As an American Express Business Gold Card member, you'll have access to book through The Hotel Collection with American Express Travel. When booking at least a two consecutive night stay you will receive a $100 hotel credit and room upgrade upon arrival (when available).
Membership Rewards Points earned with the American Express Business Gold Card are worth up to 1.33 cents when redeemed towards airfare via amextravel.com. This is due to the 25% Airline Bonus (Rebate) that you'll receive when booking airfare through American Express Travel.
|Redemption Option||Average Value (in cents)|
|Point transfers to airline and hotel partners||0.6 - 2|
|Booking flights through American Express Travel with the Business Gold Card||1.33|
|Booking other travel through American Express Travel||0.7|
|Paying with points at checkout||0.7|
|Using points for card charges (statement credit)||0.6|
|Redeeming points for gift cards||0.5 - 1|
Learn More: AMEX Points Value Calculator
Points earned with the American Express Business Gold Card can be transferred to 20 travel partners, with most partners being at a 1:1 ratio.
Learn More: AMEX Transfer Partners & Conversion Calculator
The American Express Business Gold Card has a $295 annual fee.
If you spend moderately across the card's 4X categories and make use of the 25% rebate the card offers towards airfare booked through amextravel.com, it shouldn't be hard to offset this card's annual fee.
Do note that you can earn points with other Membership Rewards credit cards and then redeem them for airfare through the American Express Business Card to up their value to 1.3 cents apiece which bumps up the overall value of all Membership Rewards credit cards tied to the same account.
AMEX Points Calculator
Use the Business Gold Points Calculator to determine how many AMEX Points you can earn based on the monthly or yearly spending amounts you enter.
You can calculate the cash value of the Business Gold alongside up to two other credit cards from any issuer.
Any spend entered into the primary card column (the first column) will carry over to all credit card calculators on the site. This means there's no need to re-enter spend when jumping to other credit card pages on the site.
Other Ways To Earn
Outside of earning Membership Rewards points using AMEX, there's only one other way to earn additional points and that's Rakuten Rewards.
American Express Membership Rewards credit card holders can earn additional Membership Rewards points by using the Rakuten Rewards program which is a free-to-use online cash back portal that pays you to shop online.
The Rakuten website features thousands of retailer affiliate links and when you click on these links to make a purchase, Rakuten receives a commission. They then pay you, the user, some of that commission which is why it's no cost to use their portal.
Rakuten normally offers cash back rewards, but Membership Rewards credit card holders can opt in to receive Membership Rewards points instead. When receiving points, the rewards ratio is 1-to-1 meaning that 1% back is equal to 1X Membership Rewards points.
So if Rakuten is offering 10% cash back with a certain retailer (which they do often), this means you'll be able to earn 10X Membership Rewards points. Sounds amazing, right? That's because it is.
I've been using Rakuten Rewards as my main online shopping portal since the start of 2017. Once the ability to earn Membership Rewards Points became available, I never looked back.
You can sign up for Rakuten Rewards using our affiliate link and earn bonus Membership Rewards Points (or cash back) on your first purchase. If you're looking to get the most out of the Membership Rewards program, you don't want to ignore this program.
Earning Rate Comparison
Want to know how the AMEX Business Gold Card earning rates stack up against other Membership Rewards credit cards? The table below lists out the earning rates per $1 spent for all credit card partners so you can see where it stands.
Is the American Express Business Gold Card worth it?
Yes. The American Express Business Gold Card is one of the best business credit cards on the market. If you're looking to earn travel rewards points for your business, this card is well worth picking up.
What bonus categories are on the American Express Business Gold Card?
The card earns 4X Membership Rewards Points on the two categories you spend the most in every month out of airfare, U.S. gas station, U.S. shipping, U.S. advertisements, U.S. restaurants, and U.S. computer hardware, software, or cloud computing. The other categories will earn at the rate of 1X.
What benefits does the American Express Business Gold Card offer?
The main benefit of the card is the 25% point rebate it offers when using Membership Rewards Points on airfare in the American Express Travel Portal. This saves you points and thus bumps up the value of Membership Rewards Points overall when redeeming them for airfare.
We've run the calculations for you and here are our top picks for best credit cards of 2023:
- Best premium card for unlimited miles: Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card.
- Best for flexible travel rewards: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card.
- Best for everyday spend and travel: Citi Premier® Card.
- Best cash back card for groceries: Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express.
- Best for dining and supermarkets: American Express® Gold Card
- Best for business travel rewards: Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card.
- Best cash back business card: Capital One Spark Cash Plus
Our Credit Card Rewards calculator can help you find the perfect card and offers based on your monthly and yearly spending habits. Simply enter your spend amounts into our tool and let us do the work for you!