One of the best cash back credit cards on the market is The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express. It earns an incredible 6% cash back on the first $6,000 in purchases spend on U.S. supermarket purchases during the calendar year (then 1%) which makes it great for anyone that spends around $500 per month in the category. The Blue Cash Preferred Card also earns bonus cash back on several other top categories such as popular streaming services, U.S. gas stations, and transit purchases.
Use the American Express Blue Cash Preferred Card cash back calculator to calculate the cash value of the card based on your spend, the cash value of card benefits, and the annual fee. You can then compare the results side by side hundreds of credit cards featured on the website.
Pre-approved offers from American Express
Get pre-approved for top partner cards like the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express or the American Express® Gold Card with help from CardMatch™. All it takes is 60 seconds to find out if you have pre-approved offers.See Matches
|Authorized User Fee|
|Foreign Transaction Fee|
Intro Bonus: -
Rewards Rate Details
The American Express Blue Cash Preferred Card has four categories that earn bonus cash back. Those categories are U.S. supermarket, popular U.S. streaming services, U.S. gas station, and transit. The U.S. supermarket category has a spend cap of $6,000 per year in which you will earn 1% back for the remainder of the year once the cap is hit. There is no cap on the other bonus categories and no cap on how much cash back you can earn with the card overall.
- 6% U.S. Supermarkets
- Spend cap of $6,000 per calendar year.
- Additional spend after cap has been reached will earn at the non-category rate (1%) for the remainder of the calendar year.
- 6% U.S. Streaming Services
- 3% U.S. Gas Station
- 3% Transit
- Includes taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses, and more.
- 1% Non-Category
Perks & Benefits
You can use the rewards calculator to calculate how many points, miles, or cash back you can earn based on your spend per category. This calculator will also give you the dollar value of the card based on the value of the rewards earned and how much each benefit is worth to you, minus the annual fees. You can click the Compare A Card button to compare this card side by side any other card featured on the site within the same calculator.
All category spend entered in the primary card's column (first column when comparing cards) will carry over to all credit card calculators on the site. This means you will not have to re-enter the same information again and again when browsing during the session.
- Earn 20% back on Amazon.com purchases on the Card within the first 6 months of Card Membership, up to $200 back.
- Plus, earn $150 back after you spend $3,000 in purchases on the Card within the first 6 months of Card Membership. You will receive cash back in the form of statement credits.
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%).
- 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions.
- 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations and on transit (including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more).
- 1% Cash Back on other purchases.
- Low intro APR: 0% for 12 months on purchases from the date of account opening, then a variable rate, 13.99% to 23.99%
- Plan It® gives the option to select purchases of $100 or more to split up into monthly payments with a fixed fee.
- Cash Back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit.
- Terms Apply.
Is the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred worth it?
The card is worth it if you spend around $500 per month at U.S. supermarkets. Other card benefits such as AMEX Offers also adds additional value to the card which makes it worth picking up.
Should I get the Blue Cash Preferred or Blue Cash Everyday?
Looking at U.S. supermarket spend alone, the Blue Cash Preferred Card is the better option if you spend more than $270 per month at U.S. supermarkets. If you spend less than that, you'll want to go with the no-annual fee Blue Cash Everyday Card.
Is the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred the best credit card for supermarket purchases?
Yes. It is one of the best (if not the best) for U.S. supermarket spending. You can use the Credit Card Finder Tool to find out which card is best for you based on spend.