If you're short on Amtrak points you can buy them directly from their Buy, Share, and Transfer Points portal page. This adds Amtrak Points to your account almost immediately so that you can book your award travel faster.
How much does it cost to buy Amtrak points?
Amtrak points cost 3.77 cents per point meaning that every 500 points that you buy will cost $18.85. Since Amtrak points are worth about 2.5 cents each on average, this is very high cost.
I recommend buying Amtrak points only if you're a few points shy of redemption or you have some superb redemption that will give you more than 3.77 cents in value per point.
|Cost in cents
|500 - 50,000 points
How many Amtrak points can you buy?
You can buy or gift up to 50,000 Amtrak Guest Rewards points in a single transaction. As a standard Amtrak Guest Rewards member, you can buy or receive up to 50,000 points per calendar year. If you have Select, Select Plus, or Select Executive membership status, there is no limit to how many points you can buy.
|Maximum purchase per year
How much will it cost to buy points?
Use our Buy Amtrak Points calculator to calculate how much it will cost you to purchase Amtrak points at the standard value of 3.77 cents per point.
Do note that the cost of Amtrak Guest Rewards points can change at any time, so you'll want to visit the Buy, Share, and Transfer Amtrak Points page to see the most up-to-date cost.
How to purchase Amtrak points
- Go to the Buy Amtrak Points portal page.
- Select how many points you want to buy.
- Enter your payment information including your credit card information and billing address.
- Confirm the amount and check mark the box that you understand the terms and conditions.
- Click pay now.
Points will take up to 72 hours, but they typically post to your account same day.
Earn more Amtrak points
The best way to earn lots of Amtrak points is by using Amtrak credit cards. Amtrak offers two credit cards that will earn you 1X to 3X points on your purchases. These cards also provide multiple benefits including on-board discounts, annual companion passes, point rebates, and more!
- Earn 3X points on Amtrak travel, included onboard purchases, 2X points on dining, travel, transit, and rideshare, and 1X points on everything else.
- 20% rebate on onboard food and beverage purchases
- Round-trip companion coupon upon account opening and card anniversary
- One-class upgrade upon account opening and card anniversary
- Station lounge pass upon account opening and card anniversary
- Earns 2X points on Amtrak travel and on dining, and 1X points on everything else.
- 10% rebate on onboard food and beverage purchases
- No annual fee.
How much does Amtrak points cost?
Amtrak points cost 3.77 cents each. Every 500 points you buy will cost you $18.85.
What's the lowest amount of Amtrak points you can buy?
You must buy at least 500 Amtrak Guest Rewards points.
What's the most Amtrak points you can buy?
You can buy up to 50,000 Amtrak points in a single transaction. There is no cap to how many points you can buy if you have elite status in the Amtrak Guest Rewards program. If you don't have status, you can only buy up to 50,000 points per calendar year.
How much does it cost to buy 500 Amtrak points?
You can buy 500 Amtrak points for $18.85.
How much does it cost to buy 1,000 Amtrak points?
You can buy 1,000 Amtrak points for $37.70.